Thread: Gluing Cork Rings

Threaded View

Bass_Bug Guest

Default Pliobond

Pliobond is the only thing I use on cork. It's a flexible waterproof contact cement. Available at nearly every hardware store and most online rod building sites. If you're gluing up to turn a handle, squeeze out isn't an issue since it will get sanded off anyway.

By the way, I glue up the rings on a 24" lenght of 1/4" threaded rod and clamp with fender washers and double nuts on each end. Pretty standard practice I imagine. Once dry, I chuck that in a 1/2" drill I built a turning jig around <http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/bb/blog.php?b=216 >. Lock on and 'turn' with various grits of sandpaper.

Been meaning to post this and now seems like a good place to throw this out for comment. The article here on FAOL by Al Cambell however, starts with the threaded rod idea to clamp up the rings while the glue sets, but then he changes the cork over to a solid 1/4" rod to turn on. Just wondering why switching to a solid rod when the threaded rod works without any problems. Matter of fact the small aoumt of glue on the inside actually glues the cork to the 'mandral' while turning keeping it secure. To release you just need to remove the nuts and washers, grip the cork and turn on the drill and it unthreads right off the threaded rod.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 12-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.