+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: storage tubes?

Default storage tubes?

I seem to be asking a lot of questions about where to find something lately. So I was determined to find this myself without asking, but failed for the last week miserably so here goes again.

I have a Fish Pond Coyote traveling tying bag and in it, it has 4 of these tubes that you put your tying thread in. Well I want to carry more thread/floss/wire than the 4 tubes will allow. I want to find some clear plastic tubes to put spools of thread in. The ones in the bag are 9" long and 1 1/4" in diameter. I have been to every hardware store in town, even thought of getting some clear PVC and making them myself but can't even find that.

Shove me in the right direction fellows. Again, thanks for your constant assistance. I am coming to the conclusion that I really don't tie flies. I think I just collect stuff for fly tying and talk about it a whole lot. Then once in a while I actually make something.

Quote Originally Posted by crook33 View Post

Those would work, but I don't need 25 of them, thinking 4 or 6 tubes. Probably need only 2, would take a couple extras but not 20 extra. Thanks for the thought though.

Does it have to be clear plastic? You should be able to get a length of pvc pipe and label it on the outside with contents. Put Wire in one and floss in another etc. End caps are readily available where you buy the pipe.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Clay,

I do not know what these costs, but, I know that you can purchase clear plastic tubes to cover fluorescent light bulbs with so that if they "blow" it will contain the glass. You can see these in commercial kitchens, bakeries, etc. No end caps that I know of. You might check at your local hardware or electricial store. Like I stated, I do not know how expensive these tubes are, but, they do exist.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Trout don't speak Latin.

Bass_Bug Guest

PCV, schedule 40 or 80, is just way too heavy for this, but I did make a rod tube out of it. A bit heavy for that for travel, but it keeps the rods safe in my closet when not being used.

The first thing I saw with Uline is the 25 quantity order as well, but 25 of the 1.5" x 6" tubes is only $15, and 25 of the .75" x 8" is only $18.25.

I would take the Uline info to your nearest Fly Shop and see if you can make a deal to get them to buy (at your cost) what you dont want, and they try to sell the rest in the shop. The larger tube (spool size) could retail for $1.99 easy, netting them over a buck profit for doing nothing.

Or, you could just contact Fish Pond at http://fishpondusa.com/contact.cfm and ask if you can get "replacement" tubes directly from them.

Well, there's these: http://www.mwflytying.com/order_info/oi_thread.html
    You'll have to scroll down a bit. I've seen these in Charlies Flybox. You could e-mail him and ask.

You guys are goooooooood! I have called and left a message at FishPond, no response yet.

The reason for the clear tubes is so that you can see what you have in them.

There are a couple of good suggestions in this thread. Will make some calls tomorrow if anyone is around or on Monday if everyone is closed for the weekend.

I even stopped at a pool / spa place to see if they had any clear PVC. I work with PVC in another hobby of mine often - building ornamental ponds for koi. Chewydog and Tyronefly both of those options look great. Here is the clear PVC and Acrylic tubing: http://www.aquaticeco.com/search/0/clear%20pvc but PVC would be heavy like someone else mentioned.

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread