Thread: Anyone deal with depression?

Threaded View

Looks like an awful lot of us have this problem. I was very very suicidal for three years before my wife's death. I only stayed alive because she needed me. Such a great coincidence. I complained to my PA that I could lay in bed for 10 hours and still not want to get up. Not refreshed. He discovered I had severe sleep apnea. I now wear a breathing machine at night with oxygen. Also have had surgery to make boaf sides of my nose breathe. One side was blocked due to a deviated septum. That was an additional problem. Forgot to add...also had throat surgery to help relieve obstructive apnea. Then I had a hyperventilation attack. Type B personality and never had that before. Doc not in on Fri afternoon so went to ER. They said all vital signs ok....follow up with doc. Doc said oh heck. We can handle that easy. He said they had a lot of that during the big fire. He did NOT explain it to me...he just ordered up medication. It worked wonders. With the pill....I just do not have any more suicidal thoughts. I assume he gave me pills for depression and anxiety.....although I never told him all this. Simply relayed the hyperventilation attack and he gave me meds. But they worked magic. Now he is no longer here and I had to find a new doc. He asked if I had depression. I said I don't know...but I was suicidal for awhile....and he said that sure sounds like depression to him! So he has continued prescribing my meds and I am fine. Before the discovery of severe sleep apnea (AHI 52) and treatment for the depression...and a nightime sleep aid.....I had no ambition either. NO hobbies. Just went about my daily chores because I had to. Starting to recover now and beginniing to actually take an interest in doing things. Took a long time to sort all this out. Just for info only...to everybody.....I take Effexor 75mg once a day. They did not explain why but said I must never stop taking it. I also take 3 Alprazolam a day....which is generic for Zanax. They said they might cut that back someday....but so far I am still on same schedule. I missed the noon one a lot....and I noticed on a day where I missed the noon one AND the dinner one...I started to get some suicidal ideas again! As long as I keep using my breathing machine with oxygen....and take my meds I am ok. Engery starting to slowly come back....but the depression meds absolutely work magic for me.

Just FYI to help others. I too had all the symptoms listed above...but didn't realize it due to being a type B person.

I am getting better by the month.

Good luck to all of you.

Jim
    Last edited by Gemrod; 09-10-2009 at 02:01 PM.