Guys I have to disagree with those that are saying to build a cane right off the bat for the very first rod. Main reason for saying that is because a cane blank&parts are going to run minimum $300/$400 so you certainly don't want to "learn" on gear that cost that much.

Not to mention with cane you will be using permagloss or varnish and for someone just starting building that stuff can "puddle" on the flats if your not use to turning a rod by hand. Plus their issues with shimming the grip because you have to open it up enough to fit over a Metal ferule on a cane blank you buy that's already ferruled. Not to mention if you want to do a cane "right" you will be using Silk thread and for anyone that has used silk thread on cane you will agree its harder to get the thread to slide so you can "pack" it. I'll stop there but let's just say there's many more things you have to take into consideration with just jumping right into a cane for your very first rod and I would never suggest someone do that IMO.