+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping rods

Default Shipping rods

Just a FYI...

Was at the post office the other day and inquired about obtaining the longer triangular boxes that can be used to ship rods..was told they have discontinued those....

Maybe so; however, I just did one yesterday

A word of warning when shipping rods/blanks with the USPS, you better buy insurance. I had a Sage blank shipped to me, properly packaged in a piece of PVC. When it was delivered to me, there was a tire mark across the PVC and it had been crushed including the rod blank. I brought it to the post office to file a claim and when I presented it to the clerk, she said, what's the problem with it. I pointed out the dark tire tread mark to her and showed her where the PVC had been crushed and splintered and showed her the crushed blank. She asked if I had insurance and when I said no, she said then there's nothing I can do. They accept ZERO responsibily for any item lost or damaged in transit and only respond if there is insurance. I realize that the USPS is the most economical way to ship a rod, but I'd never do it again without plenty of insurance. Sorry for ranting about this, but I thought I'd toss out a word to the wise for anyone planning to ship a rod using the USPS.

Jim Smith

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    A word of warning when shipping rods/blanks with the USPS, you better buy insurance. I had a Sage blank shipped to me, properly packaged in a piece of PVC. When it was delivered to me, there was a tire mark across the PVC and it had been crushed including the rod blank. I brought it to the post office to file a claim and when I presented it to the clerk, she said, what's the problem with it. I pointed out the dark tire tread mark to her and showed her where the PVC had been crushed and splintered and showed her the crushed blank. She asked if I had insurance and when I said no, she said then there's nothing I can do. They accept ZERO responsibily for any item lost or damaged in transit and only respond if there is insurance. I realize that the USPS is the most economical way to ship a rod, but I'd never do it again without plenty of insurance. Sorry for ranting about this, but I thought I'd toss out a word to the wise for anyone planning to ship a rod using the USPS.

Jim Smith
    Agreed 100%. I almost got bit, but I made out alright in the end. I won't send anything valuable now without insurance.

James I could not agree with you more. My experience with USPS has bewen basicly,"what you want me to take responsibility for our actions, shame on you shame shame on you." I have found that fedex is cheaper then USPS and will carry insurance on anything shipped for $100 or less for free. After that you pay a little for insurance. Funny thing is I checked to see what it would cost to ship 3 boxes to my son across the state of idaho. USPS with insurance was over $50.00 and fed ex was $35. delivery time for USPS 5 days Fed ex 1 day. It was a hard decision but I sent it fed ex. The only reason I don't do fly swaps anymore is cause I have to use USPS to ship and I will not give them a dime of my money

I bought a rod on E-Bay and it showed up at my door busted all to heck. The Post Office said I couldn't file a claim only the sender who had purchased the insurance could file it. They only could file it if they had the receipts for the shipping and insurance. It had to be returned to the sender in it's original shipping package to be determined if it was "correctly" packaged or not. In a nut shell the insurance is a joke. The person getting the package has no leg to stand on unless they send it back at their expense and hope for the best. A friend of mine that works for the PO said it is a scam that makes the PO a lot of money, as they have no intentions of paying off, unless you jump through all the hoops and are willing to wait months on your money. I am out 50 bucks and the PO got their money for the pretend insurance.

You don't need a triangular box to ship a rod. In fact I do not recommend it. It sounds like your shipping a rod in a box with no tube. A BIG NO NO. I can send you several pics of triangular boxes all crinkled at the same place and two of them actually open up at the crack! I have receiced rectangular boxes with a rod inside and tube and NO crunches. They do something funny with triangular boxes. I think they just stand them on end and pack stuff on top. I posted pics of some...I had even more but did not want to wear out the thread so didn't post any more pics of them. They are all different shipments but came in with the same crunched points on every box.

And if shipping in a schedule 40 pvc tube you can just label the tube. You don't need a triangular box to go around it....

But if you are shipping in a covered tube.....I dunno....wonder if just buying a bigger tube is worth it.....?

When received..before you ever walk away you can look for damage and point it out to them.

I have big issues with UPS as well and WILL NOT use them. If a company says they will only ship UPS...I tell them then to cancel my order. I will not use them.

Just adding my experiences to the anti UPS rant for information only.

Normand Guest

i recently shipped out a broken 4 piece sage rod in the sage rod tube and packaged that into a triangular box from the usps with no problem.

i got the returned rod in a heavy duty cardboard tube from sage but the end caps are pretty flimsy and were hardly attached with tape, however the contents were perfectly safe.

it appears that everybody has some kind of nightmare shipping with the few available carriers. i guess its just picking the one you have had the least amount of trouble with.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Just a FYI...

Was at the post office the other day and inquired about obtaining the longer triangular boxes that can be used to ship rods..was told they have discontinued those....
    the long tubes at the post office were only 38 inches log and are not long enough for a 2 piece rod tube to fit in anyway so i dont see the big deal if the usps doesnt supply them anymore

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stor...T.ac=P_O-1098M

theres so many other places that carry shipping tubes anyway

http://www.google.com/search?q=shipp...ient=firefox-a

Quote Originally Posted by brainiac View Post
    The Post Office said I couldn't file a claim only the sender who had purchased the insurance could file it. They only could file it if they had the receipts for the shipping and insurance.
    I bought an antique pressed glass pitcher on eBay and it arrived totally smashed. The lady I bought it from sent me the receipts for shipping and insurance as well as my purchase. I gave the PO the claim along with the box filled with pitcher parts and they paid it off within two weeks. So, it doesn't have to be the sender - though the claim form does need their information as well.

Got to have the insurance for them to cover it, though.

+ Reply to Thread