+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In Search Of Perfect Cork

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    Where can one get the graphite grip?
    One makes them.

Blog Entries

Talking To end this topic

Well seems the majority go for traditional cork even barring all the descripencies of grading and for the most part what I consider poor qualities. Being that as it may, I have received sereral requests to make these "cork board" grips..So some body out there likes em!

One thing I love about rod building is how peoples taste varry. Good thing too, or we would all be fishing with purple rods........LOL.................Thanks for all the input and carry on..........Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    ...we would all be fishing with purple rods...
    I THINK NOT !! Kelly green, maybe, but not PURPLE ??
    The fish are always right.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening Smernsky
    Many thanks for sharing your concepts and ideas.

What did you glue the cork with, epoxy ?

Kind regards,
    UB

Blog Entries

Uncle Barry................ I always use gorrila glue to glue my cork rings with. Reason: I have never had seperation , and the stuff is impervious to water hot or otherwise, and it also expands filling any gaps. That is the only place I use the stuff.
    Seats, actually gluing the grip on the blank, and other things , I rely on 2 ton devcon epoxy.....for reasons of removal if necessary.........Ed
    PS. I read your 2 handed spey rod article. Havent tried anything like that yet , but it looks like fun.
    Last edited by ET custom flyrods; 05-25-2009 at 03:56 PM.

You can make foam grips that are much lighter than cork. There were some out there for sale but Andy quit providing them to vendors. I think now none. So pour your own. Buy 6lb foam liquid material from Fiber Glast. Or some other composite vendor. Use a board and mount a piece of pvc pipe vertical on it. Actually cut out a hole for the pvc to plug into vertically. Now mount a rod the diameter of your choice in the center of the pvc from the board up out the top. Now pour your foam mixture in the pvc and let it dry. remove pvc and you have an 8-10-18" what ever round piece of foam you can turn on a lathe or sand by hand and create a foam grip. Then you either seal it, paint it, or buy heat shrink covers for it which are available. or buy the sleeves as you have seen in Tampa Jim post. You seal on the sleeves and you have a foam grip lighter than cork.

Just fyi

There IS a current source for poured foam cores. Mike Pedersen at Riley Rods offers them for sale (Google will locate). His cores are 5.5# and 1.5" x 12" and very inexpensive.

As far as sealing ONLY or painting and sealing ONLY ... it will ding and get messed up. You have to put a skin on it and finish with a resin to expect durability.

There are a variety of skin types available - glass, carbon, kevlar, etc. It isn't overly daunting to build skinned grips, it just takes a bit of time and some patience.

The lightest durable grips I have managed to build were flocked graphite arbors.

Pac Bay makes graphite foam arbors in a large OD and about 5.25" long. I glue two together end-to-end and turn them to shape. Once covered in flocking, they are extremely comfortable AND the graphite foam is VERY light. Flocking materials are available in a variety of colors, from neutral to wild and it is an easy process to master.

Tampa Jim,

Ton of good info in your post. Example which one was the lightest, where to get them, etc. Thanks loads. I haven't done one yet but read about them. I have two....gotta go measure...12-3/8" x 1.5". I actually think I have 3. I got a 4lb and a 6lb. The vendor told me he would have no more as his source dried up. Glad to hear can get them from Riley...which I didn't know either. 5.5# sounds perfect to me. I don't know how to sleeve them yet. I got a couple of the heatshrink covers....but not too thrilled about how they look. Of course...need to build one to find out. Don't know how to flock either. But....going to go try to find Riley's. Thanks for the fantastic info.

I throw out a little challenge.....no....that is Hijacking a thread. I will pose a question on a new thread.

Thanks again..

Seriously Sincerely

Tampa Jim,

Wow. Just looked at Riley Rods. Fantastic for those of us wanting to build foam grips. He has everyghing you need to pour your own, sleeves, and pre-formed for sale. Wonderful site for foam grip builders. Since he has them preformed I would just buy them. Thought I couldn't anymore and was going to HAVE to pour my own. Perfect site.

Many many thanks again for sharing. Helped me out tremendously.

+ Reply to Thread