+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bream and Bug

Default Bream and Bug

Seeing the Mustad Tying Contest pic on the front page reminded me of a bass plug that my Dad had called a Bass 'n' Bug.
    I also remembered catching small bream to catch bass with. I would put a large hook and a small hook on a swivel snap, put a worm on the small hook and catch a 2" bluegill. Then I would put the bluegill on the bigger hook and chuck him out to catch a bass.
    If there was any worm left on the little hook, The poor bluegill would get mobbed by the other bluegill trying to take it from him.
    Times have changed. I have reformed my ways. My bait days are behind me.
    But all of this got me to thinking. Dangerous, I know, but that's how it happens.

Here's what I came up with. If the wind will ever die down, I may even get a chance to try it.

Y'all think that will catch a few perch?

Kirk

This one looks a little better.

Kirk

A very nice fly Kirk. Love the colors and proportions. A Beautiful job.
    Steve

High Desert Area of N. CA. 60 miles north of Reno, NV, at the north-eastern base of the Sierras.

Crazy4oldcars/Kirk
    What about a recipe and..a Step by step?
    Nice job as always
    DT
    deserttrout

May Your God Be Your Fishing Partner

Quote Originally Posted by deserttrout View Post
    Crazy4oldcars/Kirk
    What about a recipe and..a Step by step?
    Nice job as always
    DT
    Just a quick question before you do that...I hope

What is the material...nice and sparkly.

Water Silk - Loch Ness, from Fly Tiers Dungeon. (flytiersdungeon.com).
    I bought the Mad Scientist's Christmas Box last year. I especially like his Congo Hair. The chartreuse has an almost ultraviolet glow to it when the light hits it.

As far as a step-by step, it's tied on a Mustad #6 streamer hook, with the thorax and wing case of a PT Nymph tied at the eye, and a EP Baitfish tied behind it. Patterns for both of those are readily available on the net.
    Nothing ground breaking, just quirky.
    Match your local bug for the front? I don't think it will matter.
    I think I'll tie the next one on 2 hooks, just because.
    Might get a double, perch on the nymph and a bass on the blue gill! ( I know, but a fellow can dream, cant he?)

Kirk

Kirk,
    What you've done makes sense!
    Years back I used to do what you mentioned...catch bluegills, then use the bluegills for bass. While fishing for the bluegills, I'd see the bass waiting at the edges of the schools of bluegill. The bass wouldn't even try to attack the bluegills, until the bluegills' attention was focused on trying to eat a bug on the surface. Then all heck would break loose!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Excellent idea Kirl, love it! I have not ordered yet from Fly Tyers Dungeon, but it is for sure on my to do list. I wanted to try the Water Silk and Congo Hair as well...but funds are really low, so I have not done it yet. But, I will do this asap.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars View Post
    Water Silk - Loch Ness, from Fly Tiers Dungeon. (flytiersdungeon.com).
    I bought the Mad Scientist's Christmas Box last year. I especially like his Congo Hair. The chartreuse has an almost ultraviolet glow to it when the light hits it.

Kirk
    Kirk,

Nice fly. I bought some of the Congo Hair, too, as a sub for EP fibers (heck of a lot cheaper!); haven't used it yet but will be tying up some finger mullet for upcoming trip to Florida. Now that I've seen these, may have to make some bass flies, too.

Regards,
    Scott

This is a fun material to work with, and the flies go faster with practice.
    Make sure to keep a check on the far side of the fly. I had a few of the earlier ones turn out with the tying thread showing on the away side.
    A few construction tips:

Because these are heavily trimmed to get the bait fish shape, be sure to add your dorsal color on the full length of the fly. I have started adding the darker, top color at every second or third tie-in.

Before you start trimming the flies, brush them out on both sides. the fly will have a large "V" shape to it when you finish adding material. Trim the basic shape you want, then brush it again. Trim the stragglers, brush, rinse and repeat.

As you get down to the finished shape, be aware of how thick the body shape is. The tying method "stacks" the material on the top and bottom of the hook shank to get a tall profile, but the material does spread laterally as well. You want the fly to be thinner near the tail so it gets more translucent.
    in the final stages I will use my fingers to pull the material back to look for stragglers. You might want to leave the stragglers to look like scales falling off of a wounded fish. Options, options.

Round the top and bottom edges. Trimming these leaves the top and bottom of the fly square. I trim the edges down for a more "realistic" look. Fish probably don't care, but it ain't ALL about the fish, is it?

When coloring these with markers, it's hard to get good contact with this soft material. I turn the vise so I can hold the fibers between my off hand fingers to firm up the material. Makes marking a lot easier. If you don't have a rotary vise, put the eye of the hook in the vise so the fly turns flat to the top. I do this anyway to mark the reverse side. I'm not real good with my left hand, so I adapt.

If anybody else has suggestions to help make these easier to make, put 'em up! Lord knows, I need all the help I can get. (When I told the therapist I was a fly tier, she said "Oh, ...Never mind.", and gave me a new, white coat with funny sleeves.)

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread