+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to start / go?

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    yes, the site says a 7 wt. for calm days but I try to imagine a 12 - 15 lb. bonefish on a 7 wt. and I start to sweat really bad.
    I'm thinking a 7wt. bamboo, silk and a Pflueger 1495 1/2 for those calm days.

Thumbs down Christmas Island ???

Orthoman....
    I have been to Belize eight times but decided to try something different last year and went to Christmas Island instead.
    Totally different kind of Bonefishing.
    The fish in Belize will not tolerate a sloppy cast. Accuracy is top priority. Very interesting fishing.
    The fish at Christmas Island were the dumbest Bonefish I have ever encountered. That is why the flies for there are tied so sparse. They want the fly to land noiselessly and because of the huge dumbbell eyes, to kick up a lot of mud for the fish to see. I have seen them come from twenty feet away to pick up a fly. I have also taken fish that were 10 to 15 feet away from me at Christmas Island which would NEVER happen in Belize.
    The accommodations on Christmas Island suck compared to Belize. Very spartan. Mostly old shacks left over from WW II.
    The food is also questionable. Nothing elegant here, and you have to be careful. I ate the salad one night and ended up in the bushes on islands the whole next day.
    Bottom line though, was that Christmas Island is to damn far away.
    I'm from the Chicagoland area and it took me three days to come out of the fog of jet lag.
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Osterby View Post
    I'm thinking a 7wt. bamboo, silk and a Pflueger 1495 1/2 for those calm days.
    Eric, would that I could visit one day. What a classic outfit you have proffered. The bamboo would have the guts to hang with the fish for sure.
    Paul

Paul,

I've got a W&M Water Seal 9053. Not a lot of calm days to check it out. Come visit.

Erik

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DickM View Post
    Orthoman....
    If you are a newby to Bonefish, best stay away from Florida. It is the Graduate School of Bonefishing. You may only get one of two shots a day and if you blow them the guides down there WILL yell at you.
    The Bahamas can be good but travel is iffy. They go by Bahamas time which is whenever the hell they are ready.
    You best bet is either the Yucatan or Belize. Lots of average sized fish and you will do well.
    I prefer Belize because they speak English there and the food is more compatible to my tastes.
    You say, "I know how to cast and have fished fresh water in lots of different places."
    Does this include the double haul and casting into a 20 mile an hour wind ???
    You will need both.
    If you want to go 1st class, contact Turneffe Flats Resort. They are not cheap, but have some of the best guides around and will get you into fish.
    DickM.
    Wow! I've fished the Florida Keys for bonefish many times and have never been yelled at by any guide. Now, that certainly doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I would suppose it would be the exception rather the rule that you imply.

I will agree that Keys bonefish are tough because they get a lot of pressure and many are BIG. My best Keys bone weighed 14 pounds.

If you can catch a Keys bone, you will do good anywhere. But if you do good in the Bahamas, Venezuela, Mexico, Belize or other destinations, you still will find Keys bones really tough.
    Steve

I agree with Rockthief.... Hawaii would probably be a good start for you.... close to Calif. and all. And you could also try the peacock bass.

Summer is the time to fish Hawaii. Bonefish and peacock bass are more active and aggressive. For bonefish... at least an 8wt rod. The fish run 5 pounds to over 12.

I like a 5wt for peacock bass. Average fish is just over 2 pounds with a 3 to 5 pounder not that uncommon.

We also fish Christmas Island every June. It's a great place for a beginner to gain lots of experience seeing and catching bonefish. We fish out of The Village Hotel... right on the water, fish from a boat every day, super food and great guides. (Approx $3000 for everything.... 7 days, Tues to Tues...... from Honolulu)

+ Reply to Thread