+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JC-Shooting Rats

When I was a youngster, we used to have rat killin's (ala Jerry Clower!) all the time out at the corn crib next to the barn. We used BB guns, .22 rifles, and our homemade blowguns. Like JC, we also used to shoot rats at a dump; not the city dump, but at a dump a distillery used to have behind the plant on the banks of the Ohio River near Owensboro, KY. We also used to fish the river in the vicinity of the discharge of the distillery. Way back then, the distillery used to pump their used mash into the river, attracting nearly every catfish, buffalo, carp and gizzard shad in that part of the river. I once caught a 39 pound bigmouth buffalo there on cooked macaroni! That was years ago, well before I was made aware of any type of fishing other than baitfishing. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, JC!

Uncle Barry Guest

Hi fellow rat shooters.

I too recycle rats with my 22.

YES...
    Recycle is what happens.
    Never wasted a rat yet.

Have you,
    ever noticed their, that is a rat's whiskers.
    I clip them off
    and Recycle them into the Worlds best tails on my dun type dry flies.

The fur,
    also recycled
    this is removed while the rat is in a deep sleep.
    and reused..
    no,
    recycled into a fantastic dubbing material for wet and nymphs.

Most ratus ratus creatures
    the fur is in three colours on each strand, mainly and this fur wets up so fast you will be amazed, which as you would know aids sinking of the dubbed fly.

ps, my wife thinks I am a bit strange as do my kids,
    then I think,
    whats wrong with them,
    they know nothing about recycling,
    at all.

pps, how many of you recyclers out their of Mr Ratus have been wasting your fresh rats ?

Kind regards,
    UB

UUUGGG...OK that puts me in the 223 camp....nothing left to recycle...so I don't have to feel guilty.

Heritage Angler,

I did know that the term doozy was a reference to the Dusenberg, only because my parents told me. The "doozy" was a bit before my time. But I had forgotten that little fact, thanks for the reminder.

Rick

I used to shoot them at night with a flash light and revolver--always made sure I taped up the cuff of my pants. They might find my leg to run up. Had to watch out for the cats also hunting rats. Didnt want to shoot themand spoil their fun. BILL

Quote Originally Posted by rnelson View Post
    Heritage Angler,

I did know that the term doozy was a reference to the Dusenberg, only because my parents told me. The "doozy" was a bit before my time. But I had forgotten that little fact, thanks for the reminder.

Rick
    Well before my time also - I saw it on the History Channel!

As far as hunting rats: My best friend has a large farm here, and we sometimes have to do a little rodent recycling. I recycle them directly into the atmosphere - I use a Weatherby 300 Magnum. If you look carefully after the shot, you can see a fine red mist for a split second.

Best rat shot (or any shot) I ever saw was from a moving auto (35mph no less than 25 mph).

The entire story will have to wait till the shooter is retired. $50.00 bucks is $50.00 was the quote. As the driver stated what the........... The reply was "pay me sucker".
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Does bring back memories. We had open dumps in my youth and the rats there would grow as big as cats. One evening I took a buddy who had never been to shoot rats and when he saw that a rat kept walking after being hit with a .22, he headed for the car. What a great way to spend some time.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning all ratus recyclers.
    All this thread is bringing a huge smile to my face

"I use a Weatherby 300 Magnum. If you look carefully after the shot, you can see a fine red mist for a split second. "

Laughing here.
    you should be able to hear it over there !

I've a 300winny, I have THOUGHT of doing the recycling with that and came to the conclusion, you did, and whats left !!!!!!
    I considered loading up some 130grain hollow points, then let them fly at over 3400f/s but the ratus would be gone !

Did someone say cats ?
    Do you know cat fur and whiskers are all magical fly tying materials, even after they have talked to a 243........ never thought of the 300winny and cats ...yet till now

Recyclers united.
    Kindest regards,
    UB
    ps, I also sell tanned cat skins for fly tying.
    Last edited by Uncle Barry; 02-04-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Barry View Post
    Did someone say cats ?
    Do you know cat fur and whiskers are all magical fly tying materials, even after they have talked to a 243........ never thought of the 300winny and cats ...yet till now
    Careful Barry - my cat is armed and dangerous!

+ Reply to Thread