Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
SOM -

Simply put - a soft hackled pheasant tail.

Simply tied - tie in copper wire for the ribbing; tie in 3-4 pheasant tail fibers with a suitable length hanging off the bend for the tail; using an electrician's clip or hackle plier, twist the fibers to be used for the body to strengthen the bunch and enhance segmentation of the abdomen; wrap the p.t. fibers forward to about the 1/3 point on the shank and tie off; counter wrap the copper wire to rib the abdomen and tie off; tie in a couple pieces of peacock herl, wrap it a two or three times to form the thorax, and tie off; tie in an appropriately sized hen hackle by the tip, wrap as many times as necessary to get the hackle effect you want, and tie off.

John
I was about to suggest something very similar, but try substituting yellow yarn for the herl, and use partridge for the hackle. Tie it on size 14 hook. It's a very effective sulfur emerger. (John's suggestion is excellent, too, btw.)

While you've partridge out, tie a few partridge and oranges, again size 14. They work pretty much year round; but one time you'll definitely want to try them is whenever you might have used a rusty spinner in the past (i.e. Hendrickson spinners, sulfur spinners, etc.)

Both flies can be fished either dead-drift, or on the swing. You want them near the surface.

It sounds like an interesting project. (Although I may point out that it's now 2008.)

Bob