[QUOTE=JohnScott;253329]
Quote Originally Posted by Xdscott View Post

Xdscott -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho.

Wondering where you hail from ?? You might want to fill out the profile, if you plan to stick around, so folks will have an idea about what kind of fishing you are most likely doing, your other interests, age, occupation, etc. Just kind of makes the whole BB thing a bit easier and more effective.

As to john gierach, whoever that is and whenever he mentioned that to you, he's certainly welcome to his approach, wherever it is he applies it. I've heard other people make the same suggestion, but there is another school of thought that making places known is a better way of protecting them. I think that is the better approach, obviously, as you can tell from my posts on this and other Fishing Reports threads.

Part of it may be the Western thing compared to what folks in other parts of the country feel they need to do - more like protecting their own little piece of water so they have some place to go when they want to fish. Ain't that way out here, and won't likely be for a long time, if ever. Any given day, I can choose between ten or fifteen or more really fine trout streams or rivers within a hundred miles, mostly less, and have that water all to myself for the entire day, most days.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay here.

John

P.S. You probably didn't mean to sound like you were lecturing me, right ???
didn't mean to sound lecturing at all. i mostly hail from idaho falls tho it has been some time since i've lived there but just spent last week in the area fishing some of the waters that frequent your posts. i have family and friends there still. some of those waters i've fished for 20+ years now, all the way back to being a little kid dunking worms. i have lived in a few other parts of the country that aren't as wide open and uncrowded (or unsullied) as the West and that might have crept in a bit into my thinking. some of the water i've fished in and around the eastern sierra nevada has at times seemed to suffer from popularity and word of mouth; often times not following the reg.s of single barbless/catch-and-release, etc. your position of popularity helping with management is perhaps a good one. had 20 or more C-a-R anglers been on the water that day, the folks with the worm can and/or stringer, might have been discovered. there's certainly not enough F&G folks to monitor it all.

hope i didn't come off too bad.