+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Opening Day

Default Opening Day

Today is opening day for trout here in the mountains of western NC. It is raining pretty steady and the rain will continue all day into the evening. I like fishing in the rain but don't like crowds and who wants to fish with a bunch of worm dunkers anyway. I am going out to drive around to see how wet everyone is getting. The day reminds me of another place far far away where I lived in the rain and in the mud and ate C-rats for two and a half months. Sure hope everyone gets good and wet.
    Hoo Ha
    See you on the trail, Grunt

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    ...and who wants to fish with a bunch of worm dunkers anyway.
    Now, now, let's play nice. Many of us were among the unwashed you describe before becoming fly fishers, and on occasion are prone to backsliding. The important thing is that they fish and they teach their kids to fish. We ain't no beterer then they is (NC speak), we just uses a different stick and some funny lookin bugs. Some of us even dresses funny chasin them thar trouts.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Smile Opening Day

I have always, even in my spin casting days, avoided opening day. The lakes around here are an absolute panic, with so many boats 'you could walk across the lake on them'. Not really but you know what I mean. The boat launches are jammed and there is no place to park your rig. Out on the water there are the people still fishing trying to keep their lines as people who are trolling swing by their boat. It just is not worth it to me.

Our streams and most of our rivers and highland lakes do not open until much later and they don't get hit as hard as the lowland lakes on opening day.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

When I still lived close enough to one, to make it feasible, one of my biggest Opening Day Of Trout Season" enjoyments, was to leave all my own gear at home, pack a thermos of coffee and head to the local lake's boat ramp.
    "Watching 3,456,987 people, all trying desperately to unload, and/or, re-load their boats, on a lake and a boat ramp, designed to hold 2,000 people MAX" was more fun than peanut butter and crackers given to the neighbor's Doberman!
    "I, thought YOU.... put in the %^**&%$ STERN PLUG!!??"
    "Revving up the 911HP Mercruiser, to zip across the lake before anyone else...... only to discover;"no one had taken the trailer's winch cable off the bow hook", was always a fun thing to see!!
    "Submerging your Eldorado, clear to the trunk lid, (which is open also), and STILL can't figure out "why the boat won't float off the trailer", is fun to watch. Makes you want to get out of your own rig and go inform them,that "I noticed you guys didn't remove your stern tie downs, before you backed down the ramp!?" (But, ya' don't, it's more fun to sit and wait and see if THEY can figure that one out on their own).
    Watching a group of "fish'in ex-spurts", load everything into the boat, launch it somewhat in a decent manner, then as they become a mere "dot" in the distance on the lake....... you happen to look over at their rig, (usually parked, taking up 3 parking spaces) and notice the fishing rods,all rigged and ready to use sticking out, over the tailgate of their pickup truck.
    Yep!! "Opening Day Of Trout Season" is a lot of fun and I try hard, never to miss it! I just don't FISH, that weekend and have never regretted it!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

flybinder---

That's funny !!!!!!

Made my evening. Thanks.

George

[QUOTE=Joe Valencic;222279

]Now, now, let's play nice. Many of us were among the unwashed you describe before becoming fly fishers, and on occasion are prone to backsliding.
    Your'e right Joe. I have been known to dunk a worm myself. Heck, I fished salt for five years with a 60lb handline and cutbait. I was nice though to see them standing elbow to elbow hammering the water in the pouring down rain.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

+ Reply to Thread