+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need some help, suggestions.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Excellent!!

That gave me a nice list of things to get.

Coonriverdog, I'll look for it when I'm in the shop. Thanks so much, that's very generous of you. I'll let you know how it goes

Betty, haha, well, the owner is very kind and helpful. He does love to help me when I'm there, but he also loves my money!! And like last time, I know he's going to talk me into things when I'm there haha. Seems it's not hard to talk me into buying things lol. He's a good guy though, he doesn't shove items onto people like the last shop owner did. The reason for posting here though, is I get many opinions, not just one.

What about Go-To flies, for Trout and Salmon? The river I'll be fishing has Rainbow, Browns and Pacific Salmon. I know there's a massive variety of flies for these species, but I wanna start tying flies for these species sooner than I "need" top

Thanks a lot everyone, helped me tons!
    Shane

If you are planning on pike fishing I would get some magnum rabbit strips and tie some of Barry Reynolds bunny strip flies. Easy to tie, last a long time and highly effective. The only downside is that they get heavy when we and you need a good pike rod to cast them easily. I also tie up smaller versions for bass.

Rick

Blog Entries

Otto,

I use a lot of punch yarn when I tie. It works as an easy alternative for dubbing. Give me a PM and I'll send you a bunch of it.
    BTW, if you are ready for a swap, let me know and I'll set up a panfish/bluegill swap for you to try out. Take it from me, swaps are a good way to get your skills improved when you are getting started. And you get great ideas from the flies coming back to you.

Greg
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OttoDita View Post

What about Go-To flies, for Trout and Salmon? The river I'll be fishing has Rainbow, Browns and Pacific Salmon. I know there's a massive variety of flies for these species, but I wanna start tying flies for these species sooner than I "need" top
    Can't help with the salmon, but I can give my opinion on trout.
    Pheasant tails and gold ribbed hare's ears are tough nymphs to beat. Woolly buggers catch just about any species out there. Most of my trout fishing involves a PTN or a variant of a PTN.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Blog Entries

Greg,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll send a PM in a few. I'm going to look for the pheasant for sure, and I'll lookup the ribbed hares ear too. I don't think I'm quite ready for a swap yet. Still too sloppy with my tying. But when I'm ready, you'll know Thanks a lot Greg, I appreciate everythign.

Rick,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up and see what I need. I do have a 7wt, but it's crap, with crap line, and crap reel So I'll build something up during next winter for my pike trip next Summer. Thanks a bunch!

Speaking of dubbing.....I hate it! Takes some practice huh?

Thanks so much everyone!
    Shane

+ Reply to Thread