Actdonn, this in NO WAY, implies you, or anyone on FAOL is being accused of "warranty abuse", but only to further what F-Goddess spoke of............
I have 3 or 4 Scott rods. Used to be, if you broke a Scott tip section, you sent it back,(to have them match the rod's action. Of course, the rod's model would tell them what tip section it needed, but Scott's customer service is better than the "THIS, should work for you!", so they wanted your old tip.

Once sent back, Scott matched your replacement tip, with a new one they'd make. They would wrap it, finish it off and send both, the old and the new, tip back to you. All for only $25.00. A great deal and even better warranty.
Except, when word of this became better and better known and fly fishing grew and grew........... it began to dawn on "the lower element of the sport", that............"Hey! Cool!! If I send my broken tip, BACK to Scott....... they'll send me a NEW TIP and my OLD TIP and I can simply put a new tip-top on my old broken tip and then have TWO tips for my Scott! All, for only $25.00.
Unbelievably, in a very short order, Jerry Demure of Scott told me "We're actually getting our customer's rod warranty tips back.......... SAWED OFF, with evidently a hack saw, or fine toothed modeler's saw and the customers claim they "Slammed it in a car door", "Their dog ate the tip off", etc,. etc.
Scott rods was loosing thousands and thousands of dollars a year, suddenly matching tips, putting on a set of upper guides, wrapping and finishing and shipping them out.
Well,to make a long story, longer.................. if you NOW "break" the tip on your Scott rod, it's still only $25.00 to get a new tip. But, when you get YOUR OLD TIP back..............it's been sawed into two more, pieces, by Scott themselves and when your new tip arrives, it's exactly that............ a graphite BLANK tip, no guides, no windings, just the bare tip.
As mentioned............ "a few, ruined it for many".