Hey Chris. Jim Hatch nailed it. I agree.. a canoe. I've paddled and fished from folding boats (folbot), canoes, kayaks, motor boats, jon boats, and lord knows whatever else boats. Because you want to sometimes maybe be tandem, the canoe would be better for you than a kayak. You probably want one that is in the "sports" category, that is a bit shorter and wider than those made for cruising lakes at high speeds. Luckily for you, the sports canoes tend to be a bit less expensive than the cruisers. I'd give the most consideration to the boat's weight. The limiting factor for me as to whether I actually use any boat is whether I can get it from my yard to my vehicle and then to the water and back. I find that for myself, about 55 pounds is my upper limit and 45 is a much happier number. I dream of 35 in a price I can afford.

Some specific models of canoes to look at:

Mohawk Odyssey 15

Wenonah Fisherman, Heron, Kingfisher, Solo Plus

Bell Canoe Works Angler or Drifter

Mad River Explorer or Adventure

Old Town Discovery, Osprey, Predator

Hope this helps. Have fun figuring out your boat!

Diane

------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW---What A Ride!