+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vest / Pack Suggestions

I prefer the Orvis Sling. Sometimes I accidentally LOL wade a little too deep and fanny packs get water logged. Same thing with a regular vest. The sling hold ALLOT and I can swing it out of the way.

Default My 2 cents...

I bought the Fishpond Wasatch about 18 or so months ago and I love it. Its expandable for the times that you need that little bit more room for the olong walkin-wade trip. And its just find for the stop-the-truck-and-bail-out-with-the-pole-and-a-prayer trip.

Thumbs up

John,

If I do a "long" hike I use this FishPond System;
    http://www.fishpondusa.com/doublehaul.cfm

If I am close to the car where I'm not carrying a lot of gear, I use this one;
    http://www.fishpondusa.com/blueriver.cfm

Both are "roomy" for what they are and it's tough to beat their design and price. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Fish pond packs are the best on the market.... my favorite is the blue river.

I have the Fishpond Gore Range vest and I like it especially for spin fishing. I tried the Open Range vest but thought the front pockets bulge out too much and kinda make it feel like you have double D breasts. I can imagine this gets in the way when you're stripping line. The Gore Range is not "as" bulky in front and you still have a ton of pockets.

My brother is a more experience flyfisher who first bought a Gore Range but now actually prefers their "fanny pack" option better because he can swing the pack behind him when he's doesn't need his gear. He has this one http://fishpondusa.com/waterdance.cfm

For your needs I think the High Country pack (like mentioned above) and the Double Haul are worth a look from Fishpond. They don't look as bulky up front like the vest would get with those pockets that can really bulge out on either side if you fill them up.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    so I'm shopping again and looking for suggestions. This would be primarily for fishing small trout streams on foot. I frequently hike a bit, so I want to carry a fair amount of stuff -- 32 oz water bottle, lunch, rain jacket, 4-6 fly boxes, net, camera, net, small first aid / repair kit, etc.
    Here's what I usually use for my summer trout fishing. I love it. I think I got it on clearance at REI or something...sorry if the pics are a little large...

It has plenty of room for lunch as well...

during the winter, I usually use a chest pack (I think mine's a Watermark) since it'll hide under my raincoat a little easier...

The main thing I don't like about chest packs is that most of them are just too bulky in the front...I don't care for the added bulk...that said, there are times when I throw on the backpack plus a small chestpack if I am hiking a ways from the car...

dunno if that helps, but there it is...
    ~Randy
    Last edited by clarkman23; 01-05-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    ...front pockets bulge out too much and kinda make it feel like you have double D breasts...
    I actually have the same problem with the chest pack I use sometimes during the winter!!! don't really like that part....otherwise, it's a really great pack.

Because my trips are only a few hours each in duration, I have paired down my requirements to a small fanny pack, and the heck with the vest and all the rest. I guess I like the minimalist approach, and I know I'm a lot more comfortable out on the water.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread