Quote Originally Posted by Blinderson
Thank you for the welcome. I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone here, and, I hope, share some fish stories (true ones, of course!).

We are in northeast Iowa. We have streams for year-round trout fishing, plus smaller rivers and ponds for bass and panfish.

We are targeting trout (most around here are on the smaller size, 12-15 inches, although larger ones are out there). We also would like to use the fly equipment for bass and panfish, as we've seen fly fishermen get some out of one of our favorite ponds.

Also, to ol' Blue: I believe DT is double taper and WF is weight forward, but was is a "SA setup?" I'm still learning the lingo, so I apologize if it's a dumb question. I'm still getting a handle on the terminology.

Thanks all, and I'm sure I'm going to have lots more questions.
I'm fairly new to the site as well, but I'm glad you and your son are starting to fly-fish. I'm from MO (originally), and fished a "Wal-Mart Special" for over twenty years. The SA setup is from Scientific Angler, and that is more than likely what is in your local store. My Dad taught me how to cast, and I plan on teaching my son here in the next year or two. Buying cheap gear to get started just means that you'll have more money for gas! If you decide to target Largemouth Bass, you will eventually want a heavier rod. If you love catching perch (like me), you'll buy a 2wt (like I just did). The key is gettting started, and then you can upgrade.

Have fun,