+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A tale of two head lamps

Default A tale of two head lamps

I bought this head lamp at Harbor Freight today for $3.99.
    I thought I'd lost my Petzl I bought at Cabela's for $20 some years ago.
    I found the Petzl after I got home so now I have 2
    The quality of the HF head lamp is comparable to the Petzl....and a bargain IMO.

Default Re: A tale of two head lamps

Ah...but when it's lost for several years will you be able to find it like the more expensive one, eh?

mcsteff

Quote Originally Posted by mcsteff
    Ah...but when it's lost for several years will you be able to find it like the more expensive one, eh?

mcsteff
    Good point...I prolly wont look as hard for the $4 one. After I "replaced" the Petzl I kept looking. "It was right where I left it".

I looking at the price of those step bits in the flyer, that is cheap even if they are crap.

nick

Quote Originally Posted by nick0danger
    I looking at the price of those step bits in the flyer, that is cheap even if they are crap.

nick
    Harbor Freight is not know for high quality but cheap prices. While the head lamp looks like it may have been made in the same factory as the Pitzl, the switch looks the same as does the case but its a bit harder to get closed after you put the batteries in.
    I put together a small tool kit to take along in the car. It was not worth it to buy all Sears stuff. I bought wrenches and some sockets from HF. The quality seems to be ok for what you expect to use it for...
    Get on their mailing list...every month they send a flyer out with real bargains.

You won't know what you've got until you've had the cheap lamp for as many years as your Petzl has served you. Component quality is usually the huge difference in knock-off products that are remarkably cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by nick0danger

nick
    Harbor Freight is not know for high quality but cheap prices. While the head lamp looks like it may have been made in the same factory as the Pitzl, the switch looks the same as does the case but its a bit harder to get closed after you put the batteries in.
    I put together a small tool kit to take along in the car. It was not worth it to buy all Sears stuff. I bought wrenches and some sockets from HF. The quality seems to be ok for what you expect to use it for...
    Get on their mailing list...every month they send a flyer out with real bargains.

With most stepper bits starting at 60 bucks for a small one, that is a real cheap price.

+ Reply to Thread