Ed,

I believe the pond owner would be wise to reconsider using excess fish food as fertilizer. First, it would not contain the best mix of nutients needed to make the pond "bloom" as one would desire. Secondly, the use of fish food as a fertilizer will be MUCH more expensive than a good commercially produced pond fertilizer, including liquid fertilizers. Finally, utilizing animal food as fertilizer can result in blooms of blue-green algae, which can have toxic effects on the fish.

Next, I can NOT recommend cheap cat food, dog food, etc. as a replacement for commercially produced fish food. (No, I am not working for a fish food company, nor do I receive any kickback from them.) As with all food products produced for livestock, different formulations are required for the best growth and health of different animals. Feeding of the stocked fish will result in increased growth rates and increased carrying capacity of the pond. However, feeding is NOT absolutely necessary if the usual combination of bass/bluegill and/or redear sunfish is stocked as recommended. If one stocks channel catfish, supplemental feeding is required to get them to grow well.

I usually recommend a floating fish food, even though it is slightly more expensive than sinking food, as the pond owner can observe the fish feeding and ensure the fish clean up the majority of the food in 15 minutes or so. This ensures that overfeeding doesn't occur, thus prevents wasting of food. Additionally, it is pleasurable watching fish feed on the surface!

Back to the discussion about plants in the pond, I recommend diligent watchfulness if it is decided to plant rushes, lily pads, lotus, or any other emergent vegetation in ponds. Many of these plants will expand their populations beyond the planting site. Again, too many plants will result in problems. If they are planted, the pond owner needs to be prepared to work to control plant populations to the areas where they are desired. This may entail chemical control as well as mechanical control, if plant populations get out of hand.

If you haven't visited Carroll Lake recently, you may be in for a surprise how the lotus expanded. As a matter of fact, TWRA had to go in and chemically control the lotus several years back as the plants had taken over about half of the lake surface acreage. As a result, the fish population stunted severely, forcing its renovation. The fishery has since rebounded with the subsequent fish restocking and annual plant management program.

Again, this points out the need to maintain a vigil on one's pond to ensure things do not get out of whack. While it is not unheard of that a pond can remain unmanaged and still remain "healthy" (as far as the fishery and plant communities are concerned), it is the exception rather than the rule that this occurs, especially here in this part of the country.