+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad News

Default Sad News

Bad News: Last weekend my dog Sasha got her paws on a cooked chicken breast. Since she ate it I've noticed she's been lethargic, not eating and not going potty. I thought this might be the result of a lodged bone. Well, today I took her to the vet. After an x-ray was taken the vet showed it to me. Her abdomen is full of tumors. His explanation was not optimistic. In fact it was quite the opposite .

I've had a dog or dogs throughout nearly all my life and this never gets any easier . Near as I can tell, she's not suffering but at the first sign that she is, we'll say good-bye. Till then she's my little girl and she can keep annoying the h*ll out of Bear and Diesel(son's Rotty that we're watching).

Allan

Sorry to hear it, Allan. Enjoy her while you can. Been there, done that. It is a sad situation.

It is a very sad situation and a decision will have to be made one day and I do not envy you. I, too, have been there and done that. Enjoy each and every day. My heart goes out to you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

nighthawk Guest

They ask so little of us and give so much more in return. My heart breaks for you, Allan. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. He takes care of all of His creatures, great and small.

Default sorry buddy

Allan,

Sorry to hear about your dog. My heart goes out to you.

Default Sad News

Allan,
    All I can say is I'm sorry. I've been there more than once and don't envy you at all. We love our children (read dogs) and cuss them from time to time but love them greatly. My wife and I refer to ourselves as Momma and Daddy when we talk to the boys. They seem to understand. They throw their love at us unconditionally, then suddenly say goodbye.
    I wish you peace in your heart my friend.
    God Bless,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Dear Allan,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't envy you one bit. I had 30 minutes to decide to put my last dog down and that was too long.

Take care and buy Sasha an ice cream when the time comes.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Default Sad News

Allan, I lost my old Cocker Spaniel last year just before Xmas. He'd been ordering me around for about 13-14 years or so. It was so bad that I couldn't go out in the back yard. Just a few months ago, a little yellow Lab pup came into my life. My back yard is home again. And the little Lab pup already weighs 60 pounds plus, and getting bigger by the day.

sorry to hear about your dog, we almost went through the same thing, our black lab got salmon poisioning, but he pulled out of it and now he is a whole new dog.

P.S. i thought dogs could only get salmon poisioning from salmon, but i guess here in the Pacific northwest they can get it from any kind of river fish. so watch out.

Alan,

You know it's not the chicken that yielded this result, those tumors have probably been there for some time and just happened to make her life miserable coincidentally. That said, I'm sure she's had the absolute best life a dog could ever have with you at the helm. I'm including some prose that I came across many years ago, and hope that sharing it with you and all dog owners (former, current, and future alike) will help you cope with your difficulties.

A Dog's Plea (Author unknown)

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ears.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should you be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Rainbow bridge (Author unknown)

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Take care, friends, and remember to love your pets daily!!!

Marty

+ Reply to Thread