+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finger Lakes Region - Central New York

Default Finger Lakes Region - Central New York

If anyone is interested in the fishing conditions in the Finger Lakes region (particilary in the the Ithaca/Cortland/Watkins Glen) area feel free to drop me a line and I can provide some information.

I am happy to share any reports I have on local streams or lake conditions. If I do not have the information, I am probably able to point you in the right direction.

Tight Lines.

Nice of you,,, thanks.

Hey welcome aboard from a neighbor in Horseheads NY theres quite a few of us around you .Will be in touch soon I think. Stay cool and dry tite lines and check out the chat room if you have time .

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

good to see some of you from Sander's site and LOU dropping by. Enjoy!

Marty

Welcome! I've seen your posts on Sander's as well. I'm just outside of Buffalo, and visit the Finger Lakes region a fair amount. How are the tribs fishing lately?

Default Ithaca area

This may be my first post on this board altough I view it daily. Was just planning a long distance move of my daughter to ithaca (she starting a 5 year doctoral program at Cornell, and they;re paying for it, yea) and saw your post. Don't think fishing will be on the menu this trip, but certainly will be in the future. It sure looks like a beautiful area in which you live and I'll pick your brain when I have a chance to spend alittle more time up there.

Thanks for all of the greetings.

Fishing locally has been tough this year. Not really sure why, I think it may have to do with the winter of 04/05 and the drought of 05. Delayed reaction from the environment.

Anyway, glad to share my stories and insights on this board.

FAOL is a great site and I am glad to be able to participate in this community.

adman-

a 5-year doctoral program. Sounds like a science program, i.e. they pay the stipend from a training grant. did the same (biochemistry/molecular biology @ Hopkins, '98-'03) and believe me, SHE'll be the one paying for it! j/k, congrats to you and her, hopefully within the next few years we'll get some more fed. research $$$ so we PhD researchers can get jobs.

Marty
    DrFishingToughGuy

Adman:

If you want to put fishing on the agenda, I would recommend a trip up to see your daughter during the fall run.

The season can start anywhere from mid-September on, depending on water levels and temperatures. Once the run starts you can have shots at land locked salmon and brown trout. The season runs through ice-up which can range from late novemeber to not at all.

If I had to recommend a time I would say chose a day or two at the end of October or beginning of November. There are typically fish around, and it tends to be cool enough so that the crowds have thinned out.

A 9 ft 7 wt rod with a floating line is my standard set-up. Sometimes I switch lines and use an intermediate or sink-tip based on water conditions.

You can get away with a 5 wt, the only real problem is that if you hook into one of the big lake run fish you will be hard pressed to land the fish or revive it if you can bring it to hand.

Traditional streamers are the way to go, although egg patterns and nymphs can also be pretty effective. I tend to use double bunnies (chartrueuse and white) and clouser minnows (chartruese or red and white) almost exclusively.

Hope this helps you plan a trip.

DrFishingToughGuy
    Excuse the tardiness of reply. Actually my daughter's in a 5 year English PHD program-she too may starve upon graduation.

Fall Creeker

Thanks for the info. Sure loved Ithaca and can't wait to get back. Maybe we can wet a line some time. Don't know if I will make it back this fall. It's a 550 mile jaunt.

adman

+ Reply to Thread