+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seeking advice

Default Seeking advice

Greetings from Canada,
    I will be in Maine ( Dover Foxcroft and Kennebunk) areas in mid June. I would like to do some trout fishing for one day in each of those areas.I like to flyfish rivers or streams that can waded. Any suggestions? I hear that you can fish for browns in northern Maine. What fly patterns would any of you recommend for that species of trout? I hear they can be kind of fussy.
    I'm use to fishing for Atlantic salmon, speckled and sea trout, but not browns. Paul

I wish I had advice for you. I know nothing about Maine (except how to spell it). BUT, I can bump this to the top of the list again.

Bump

Come on folks, somebody help Paul.

Lux

Paul,
    Never been to Maine, but if you don't mind a suggestion, why not "repost" your request & "retitle" it something like..."Advice for FF Maine in June, please", instead of just "advice". Many folks won't even open a post if it is too generic.
    Just a thought.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hey Paul,

I typed "fly fishing maine forum" into
    a Google search and was rewarded with
    several Maine fly fishing forums. In
    addition, one of the chatroom hosts, RW,
    lives in Maine. He will be hosting Sunday
    at 10 a.m. est. Hope you have a great trip.
    Warm regards, Jim

Paul... call the Kittery Trading Post @ 1-888-KTP-MAIN and ask for the fishing dept. They should have the scoop on what's going on.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Paul,
    While I have never fished those areas I have a good fishing friend that grew up in Dover Foxcroft. He tells tales of fishing all over that area so I am sure that you can find good fishing there. I have had success with a Parmachene Belle when I fished for Salmon in Maine. It is a fly designed for and by Mainers.

Can't help with Kennebunk except to think that Stripers might be fun to try.

jed

Hey Paul: While in Dover you might try the Kennebec in Solon (near Skowhegan) which has a wonderful stretch of good wading for browns and rainbows below the dam. Caddis patterns (adult and emergers) work well as well as wooly buggers. In Dover you'll be not too far away from the Moosehead area which has some good rivers for landlocks and brook trout (E. Outlet of Kennebec, W. Branch Penobscot, Roach R.). In Kennebunk you might try for stripers at Parson's Beach where the Mousam R. enters the Ocean...good wading around the low tide for stripers on Clousers and Decievers. I can e-mail you detailed info if you'd like. Also, interested to hear of your Salmon fishing...I fish them too!

Chuck

Paul, Chuck's advice above is excellent. depending on your ability and willingness to travel there are a number of great places to fish. If after Browns specifically you'll have to fish the Kennebec as the other rivers mentioned do not have Browns. The Moosehead area features Brookies, and Landlocked Salmon for the most part.

To address you fly question mid June in Maine brings Caddis, BWO's and some left over Hendrickson's. Course Browns love big streamers as well.

I suggest you also post your question on one or more of the Maine FF forums
    [url=http://flyfishinginmaine.com/forums/:c7e39]http://flyfishinginmaine.com/forums/[/url:c7e39]
    [url=http://flyfishingonly.net/forum/:c7e39]http://flyfishingonly.net/forum/[/url:c7e39]
    This site is hosted by Mike Holt, owner of Fly Fishing Only in Fairfield ME. Visit or call his shop if you can for excellent advice.

Al

Hi all,
    Hadn't checked the site for a few days. I had a pleasant surprise today. I want to thank all those who answered with your suggestions and advice. I will definitely fish the Kennebec while in that area.Since my first post, I have indeed spoken to a fisherman who lives in that area and that's also his suggestion.
    Chuck, what kind of information would you like to receive concerning fishing for atlantic salmon? I'm no professional, but I'm certainly willing to share what I know concerning fishing in this area ( New-Brunswick, Canada ). You can e-mail me if you like.
    Thanks again!
    Paul

+ Reply to Thread