+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water Levels and Fishing

Default Water Levels and Fishing

Wow. Lots of rain and it's going to continue through Tuesday. Catskill reservoirs are already over 100% and flood warning conditions all over the place. Sounds like any reasonable fishing, at least in the southern tier and Catskills of New York, is on hold for awhile. May bode well for conditions later this spring and into the summer but I wonder if it'll have a negative effect on the insects and the trout?

Allan

I've seen some online predictions today that claim it will be worse than last fall.

The Beaverkill at Cooks Falls is at 14.13' and still rising, that's 4' over flood stage. The East Branch at Fishs Eddy is at 16.19'. Last September the Beaverkill rose to 18'+. With all the rain it is staged for a repeat barely 7 months from the last flood. I just moved my travel trailer yesterday to a campground on the East Branch, what timing. But who would have thought two floods of that magnitude in less than a year. It's mind boggeling. Fortunetly the campground manager pulled it out to high ground for me this afternoon. Otherwise it would be ruined or worse flushed down river. I just hope all the people who live on the Delaware river system are prepared. This is supposed to continue through tomorrow.

Dear tyeflies,

I have heard and seen evidence that the past two summers of high water were far more damaging to the fishermen than the fish. Smaller native streams really benefitted from the extra water.

If you think back a few years ago, we in the NE were in a rather prolonged drought. Trout fishing really suffered then.

Personally I don't mind the rain and the higher water, I'd just rather it came in more metered amounts. Three inches of rain in a week isn't a bad thing if it comes in the form of 1/2 inch of rain on six days. Our weather pattern for the last two years plus featured weekly gully washers instead of the more gentle rain I remember from years gone by.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Check out [url=http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt:56af4]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/rt[/url:56af4] for the latest in flooding. RIght now it has alot of black dots, which mean new high. Similar in Western MA, [url=http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/rt:56af4]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/rt[/url:56af4]
    though not as extreme. Lets see what tomorrow brings.

jed

Based on the gauges, the Beaverkill just about hit last fall's levels, but is now dropping fast. Upper D seems to be leveling off. Interestingly, there was a significant temperature drop associated with the rising water -- I'm sure that was the snow melt.

Pretty tough opening weekend for those stocked trout. High water and temperature shock. We may be catching 'em in Jersey.

Yeah, We are under a flood watch here in the syracuse area and just south on the Susq. River I hear its terrible too. Im gonna wait for about 4 days and toss a few lines in and see what happens anyhow.

Talked with Mike Lambrigger at Twin Islands camp site. Mike said the water was two feet higher in the camp store than last fall. "Three feet " He had just gotten the camp ground ready for spring, now must start over. So sad........

+ Reply to Thread