+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flats Dude Article on Englewoods' Waters.....

Default Flats Dude Article on Englewoods' Waters.....

Since it's only a 20 minute drive out to Lemon Bay & Englewood; that's where I do alot of fly fishing.I liked the historical information about the area, which is getting to be pretty obscure with the influx of new residents. All in all it's just like the Dude says it is, except for the added traffic & snowbirds! Great article.

Thanks guys...dancin' dave, I was gonna get down on the Yankees, but I decided not to...just kiddin'!*G* I remember leaning over that bridge the same trip,catching sheepshead around the pilings. My bathing suitrode down a little and exposed the "untanned" portion of my upper rump. Had a nice, red racin' stripe right above....sorry...too much info!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheepshead are the best catch out near the gulf now, unless of course the county of Sarasota filled the bathing suit inspectors position where their job requirement is to be able to determine if 2/3 of the tukus &/or chest is covered by swimwear! Flats Dude, you still can probably catch a few convict fish, but there will be alot of those inquisitive arm chair fishers around!

SDD...I'll pass, they all taulk funny!*G*

Do you guys remember the wooden bridge going out to the beach (it was the second bridge, not the main one going over the wide part of Lemon Bay)? I grow up in Englewood, moved away when I left high school in 83.

Stump Pass and Placida where great fishing. Also the old railroad tressel going out to Boca Grande ( I believe it has since been turned into a fishing pier). Yep I remember it well.

Way before my move to the sunshine, but have seen some pictures of the olden days. The raildoad trestle has a North & South fishing pier, with most of the boating crowd getting the waters under where the railroad ran over wood bridges in between.

I very well remember that old, wooden bridge. I leaned over the railing for a half a day fishing for sheepshead. My shorts rode a little lower than I expected and I got a nice, red "racin' stripe" just above my...well, you know.

Where can we find the article by Flats Dude that you are referring to?

Snook, look for the link for past articles at the bottom of the current story's page. "Englewood, Stump Pass and Lemon Bay".

Fishcreek,

I remember that ole wooden bridge as well as several other wooden bridges in SW Fla. Took some good snook under there.

I can't count the snook I nailed under the Trussel. As a matter of fact, I still hit it with the flyrod whenever I get a chance, while heading south from Placida. Snook, jacks, ladyfish, mangos and the occasional grouper. Yep, there all still there. It get's a lot of pressure these days. But if you hit it at 1st light or late evening, it can really turn on without the crowd being there. Of course, boat access is the only way to do it on the fly.

Fishcreek, it's not like the old days where you felt like you had the place to yourself while you were fishing. Nowadazes, the boat traffic is almost ridiculas!

One Bad Snook!

+ Reply to Thread