+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you expect from a guided trip???

Christopher, I'm gonna hire you if I'm ever in your neck of the woods....you're my ideal of a great guide.

2. Default

I take a guided trip or two each year on my "Home water" and the guides knowledge and patience make all the difference. I ask for a different guide each time to learn more about the river and to find out how they help their clients. If a guide can help me with casting, tying, reading water, boat handling, entomology, or any other aspect, I appreciate the effort.
    That being said, I have had two guides in recent years who I would not recommend. One used his cell phone to make 3 personal calls while on the water, and one didn't offer a single piece of advice during a 6 hour float. In fact, he hardly spoke during the whole trip, even when a direct question was asked.

I do have a favorite that I go with every year. He knows and loves the river, gives me something to think about each trip, and sends me a Christmas card each year. He and I are now good friends (15 years of fishing) and although he always offers to take me for free, I pay his full rate plus tip. In return he shares his bugs and tying tips, has given my daughter free casting lessons, and taken me bobcat hunting. I have a greater appreciation of the river and the sport because of him.

------------------

RG/AR,
    I'm gonna hire you if I'm ever in your neck of the woods
    Just to keep this on an even keel, I only guide part time ... I spend more time promoting the river than guiding. The salmon rivers in quebec (99%) are managed by non-profit organisations, so I'm not trolling for clients.

Bob mentionned "I also like it when he offers to show me places I may fish the next day or without a guide."

I find this is an important part of a guides job. I'm looking to "cultivate" return ff's to my home waters. I had a good client that has become a fine friend. Last time he called to book, I told him flat out that he didn't need a guide. He came up, had a wonderful week of fishing and I went down to fish a few days with him. (He brought the JD and I brought some aged sharp cheddar that a local makes).

Fun all around.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:a8803]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:a8803]
    Christopher Chin

Rowing! Lots and lots of rowing

Pat,

I hope to get a fishing buddy for the day. I want the guide to treat me as though he/she were fishing with an old friend that had come into town for the weekend. In addition, knowledge of river, entemology and a good sense of humor. (I laugh at myself, the guide might as well laugh too).

Blog Entries

I went out in a boat from Port Hardy BC , It was off season and I got a pretty good deal for the day , the guide was going to fish one line , Me the other . We would target Coho and Hope a big Chinook would call in . Not a problem because that is the deal we struck . However , I caught 2 coho in the 15lb range in the first 2 hours . He couldn't raise a fish on the gear he was using . I got on and broke off quite a large fish that May have been a Chinook , Wow the guide acted like a 5 year old , temper temper . When I suggested he switch to what I was using , I got a "that stuff don't work , you were just lucky" . HUH?
    Then Mr wonderful fired up and changed locations and began to jig for Cod . Not the Guide you'd ever recommend to anybody. I have been on several guided trips before this and several since this trip and its is the only time I ever encountered such a jerk .
    I once had a guide tell me up front that He wouldn't take me Coho fishing because the giant Chinook had showed up in the area . The PR value from Large Chinook catches Helped promote his guiding service and was too good for him pass up . No problem , He was up front with me and I understood his point of view So we went out after the big guys and wound up catching 3 Coho anyway , no Chinook .
    I liked the guy and would go with him again .
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I stayed at a lodge where the year before we had one of the best guides I've ever seen who worked hard nonstop and wanted us to catch lots of fish.

The next year we were told he left and figured it was no big deal that we'd be with a different guide. Our guides ended up being drunk Cree Indians who actually seemed to try and put the boat where we wouldn't catch. I started ordering them around to get to the spots where fish were and things would improve but they'd constatntly keep us out of casting range. They also would drink all of our beers if we weren't looking. Those guys sucked. One day they took a break to deal with a bear that they had trapped which was cool and all but we were there to fish. Needless to say we went somewhere else the next year and will never go back.

As a guide I try to tailor my skills to my clients. I like to know before hand what they expect. Will they fish nymphs? The answer is no more often than you'd expect. Honestly, what is their skill level? I don't want to take some beginners with poor eyesight on a float where we could encounter few large fish takning olives or midges. That would be frustrating for both of us.

What most of us freaks on this board want out of a day is not what the average client wants. Most people seem to want an enjoyable day where I have the right bug and put them in the right spot to hook as many fish as the conditions allow. A clean vehicle, a comfortable boat, a good lunch, being on time or early, staying on the water as long as they want (I'll row off in the dark if they want it, but you have to consider that many don't), enthusiasm, and the offer to teach new skills if they want to learn. I also have the best gear for my clients because they could show up with those crappy Martin combos from Sprawl Mart, and those things ain't worth a S&%@.

My favorite clients are the ones who are here to learn and improve their skills, weather it's casting or reading water or picking flies. I like the guys who won't stop for lunch if the fishing is good. I also like beginners, it's nice to get someone their first fish and get them hooked on the whole idea. I had one guy say he'd never spin fish again after his first day of ffing, that was nice.

Benjo,
    I also like beginners, it's nice to get someone their first fish and get them hooked on the whole idea. I had one guy say he'd never spin fish again after his first day of ffing, that was nice.
    I feel that's one of the real perks about guiding... seening that "look" when yo just know the guy (or gal) is hooked for life

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/:75478]http://www3.sympatico.ca/chris_chin/[/url:75478]
    Christopher Chin

It would be nice, to end the trip back at my car!

~Parnelli

Patience is very important.
    Also promptness in replying to e-mails, calls, etc. I had a guide on my previous trip to New Zealand who I really enjoyed fishing with. When I went to book him again, I got no response to my e-mails. I waited about a month, but finally had to finalize travel arrangements and so booked another guide. Of course I finally got a reply from guide #1 shortly thereafter, but it was too late.
    I also recall going salmon fishing with a group, which was paid for by the company that I worked for at the time (I wish I still had perks like that). I vividly remember the guide running below decks to pee just as we were entering the moorage area (a long narrow channel full of boats)
    Before we could react, of course, we had glanced off acouple of boats. Although we were travelling at minimal speed, it seemed to be a strange time for a pee break. Taking rest breaks at the proper time has now become a consideration when I hire a guide.

+ Reply to Thread