+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hair Hackle

Blog Entries

Default Deer Hair Hackle

Tying these with a dubbing loop of deer hair as a substitute for hackle.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-26-2020 at 07:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Nice! I have often felt the hackle growers did tiers and themselves a serious disservice. They asked us to find other ways to float flies and and tiers did!

Nice. My buddy ties his comparaduns with deer hair in a dubbing loop. He trims the hair underneath and they float great. Plus, the butt ends keep 'em floating.

Very cool. I would imagine that they would float well.

Byron, nice job, ive been thinking about trying the same thing for a while. after seeing your results my next sulphur drys will have deer hair hackles. have you tried the same technique for hackling wet flies and soft hackles. it gives you greater control over your hackle length. been doing that for 6 or 7 years now, I can use every feather on a hen saddle and have the correct length hackle on every flie.

again, nice job

Blog Entries

Thanks guys!

Hans Weilenmann has a superb website page of flies tied by a great number of tyers.
    It can be found by searching: “Flytiers Page”.

Anyway, Hans asked me to contribute a bunch of flies for his page back in the 90’s. You sent him your flies and he took his superb photos of them and posted the pictures there.

One of the flies I sent to Hans was this deer hair hackled fly. Again, this was in the 90’s.

upload images

And, another:

Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-23-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Byron,

that is a great technique, which the fact that you've been using it since the 90's, kinda freaks me out. ive been tying since Christmas of 1960 and hadn't seen that style of hackling flies until six or seven years ago. it may have something to do with me fishing mostly the salt from the early seventies till 2013, but it still freaks me out. can you give me a step by step when tieing with the hair hackle, I would guess it would be some where around , clip the hair from the skin, comb it, stack it, measure it , then insert it in the dubbing loop and twist. im guessing that if you have been doing this for 30 years you probably have some tips that would make things a little easier.

nice tie, great technique

Blog Entries

Hasn’t been 30 years yet!! I think I first did this in the late 90’s. I’m old, but don’t make me older!!
    First started tying in the late 70’s.

That’s exactly what I do. Sort of lightly stroke fibers back as you wrap the “hackle”.
    I don’t like using wax on the thread as it “mats” the hair when wrapped. Also prevents adjusting/evening out the hair in the loop.

Certainly not my primary way to hackle flies, but I do use it.

I also sometimes create a dubbing loop of appropriately colored CDC barbules right in front of the deer hair hackle.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-25-2020 at 02:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Sometimes, I place the stacked hair in a Pettijean clip. Hair can be carefully adjusted a bit in the clip before placing in the dubbing loop. Also, a great way to clip the butt ends (in one careful clip)!

yup, I use one of those clips also. it allows me to gage the hackle length and trim it to the right length before placing in the loop. all I have used this technique for thus far is for soft hackles, so I do wax the thread. it helps keep the hackle in place until I get the loop twisted up. I cansee where it might be a problem with the deer hair since it might be multi layered in the clip.

it may be awhile before I get to trying this on hair , but will let you know of my results.

+ Reply to Thread