+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm looking for a new pack.

Question I'm looking for a new pack.

I'm looking for a new pack. I don't go over a mile from my vehicle so I don't need anything big. I'd like to carry a fly box, couple of spools of tippet, nippers, floatant, leaders, a water bottle and maybe a granola bar. I also usually take my smart phone (for the camera) and some tp (for emergencies). I'm leaning towards the San Juan chest pack from fishpond but I'm not sure if it'll hold a water bottle and fly box? I'm also wondering if it'll fit? I'm not exactly petite at 6'4" and being much closer to 300 pounds than I like to admit.

Suggestions greatly appreciated,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Hi Jason, Here's one I use as a catch all. It has plenty of pockets I can carry 2 water bottles inside the main pouch, TP and a poncho. The fold out work station has a foam fly patch and there is ample room for leaders, tippet material, reel parts and tools. I have a 4 spool tippet lanyard and a tool lanyard attached to mine. It has handles and a shoulder strap for convenient carrying. Good luck. Jim
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...ag/1729402.uts
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I got a Mountainsmith Tour TLS (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mou...processed=true). last year. This is not a "fly fishing" pack, but it is very well made and quite a bit less expensive than comparable fly fishing packs.

Unlike most fly fishing packs, the Mountainsmith pack has only a couple of packets, so I added a purse organizer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00) which fits neatly in the pack and provides organization for my fly boxes and tools.

I'm really liking this pack and prefer it to the Fishpond pack that I used previously.

Bought a small back pack but unfortunately don't remember where I got it. Called an "ALPS Mountaineering" pack. Has two plastic bottles in mesh holders, one on either side. I am diabetic so fill one with orange juice and the other with water. Has two zippered pockets with lining that would probably keep rain out except for heavy stuff. Also has an adjustable, open at both ends, carry pack on the outside back of the pack where I usually hang one of those lightweight rain jackets or other extra clothes depending on the weather. Plenty of room for all kinds of "stuff" including a small lunch, "skeeter" spray, fishing "stuff," and other goodies. Doesn't weigh that much and doesn't get in the way when casting etc. The pack is also padded where it touches your back and the straps are padded too. Like it a lot better then any other one I've had. Didn't try searching for "ALPS Mountaineering" pack but may be able to find one that way.

I've had lots of luck with one of those camelbacks with the pockets. It has a narrow profile so it can be worn when casting or standing around.

I've used one like this for about 40 years. Its a military surplus gas mask bag with shoulder strap. Someone gave it to me a long time ago. I've used it for fly fishing and bass fishing in ponds. Mine has 3 interior pockets... its everything I need.

+ Reply to Thread