+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I only have so much willpower

Default I only have so much willpower

I have been thinking about that sweet little TFO glass 3/4 7' for the brookies ever since I casted one at the VA Fly Fishing festival last april. Reasonable enough at $200, but not something I "need". Then I read about the Cabelas CGR 4/5 7', and how nice they are, $130, reasonable enough, but still, not something I need. Now Cabelas has these rods on sale for $65! Even add shipping and tax it's $80 total! How am I supposed to resist this??

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...Tz_stype%3DGNU
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

That's a fun little rod at a great price. I got one last year. You better grab it at that price.

Dave

Blog Entries

Personally I would go with the TFO rod, it has a great guarantee. Since Cabela's is offering their rod at such a low price I would suspect they are going to discontinue that particular model, but I guess for that price if it breaks, so be it.

Have fun either way. We seldom really need 'stuff' but it sure is nice to have it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Cabelas bounces the price of the CGR all the time. That's the lowest I've seen yet though. Grabbed the 5/6 7 1/2' today. I have the 4/5 7'and wouldn't part with it. Great rod.

How can anyone resist that?

I couldn't build one for that price...
    Isaiah 41:10

Wow; at that price you can buy the entire series for less than the cost of a moderately-priced graphite, plus you'd get free shipping! What fun!
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 10-19-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I succumbed, got the 4/5 7'. I didnt have a dt5 line but I did have a GPX 4, and it lawn cast that great, and it also cast a dt4 fine also. Yesterday I got it out on a local private spring creek, and the fish were active. the GPX 4 fished fine (glad I dont have to buy another line), I spooled it up on a spare Ross evolution 1 and it balanced the rod great. Can hold it with one finger, very light in the hand. I was surprised at how accurate the rod is, and it roll cast and mended very well. My big concern was how the sliding rings would hold the reel. There is a little groove on the seat were the reel goes, so you can rig it up quick. This also allows the rings to slide easily over the reel foot, and it is a secure attachment. I noticed an small indention on the cork where the reel feet were, I dont know if that will deteriorate the seat over time, but I guess at the price of these that is no biggie. I saw online were someone replaced the seats on these, so i guess that may be an option down the road if it is a problem. The only "con", and it isnt really something that I have to deal with very often, is that the broad, heavy fish were biting and I had a little trouble getting them to the net. The shorter rod coupled with the big bend in the rod made it hard for me to reach with the net, and I felt I may have "overplayed" some of these larger fish. Maybe something I need to get used to (I HOPE)!

J
    ust an unbelievable rod for the price. Someday we may be reminiscing about this rod, kind of like a certain group talks about the old "Far and Fine" series, and we will start a post "remember when you could get that CGR for $65?"
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Personally, I'm glad you gave in and I hope you enjoy your new rod!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread