+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wading Staff

Default Wading Staff

After the 4th knee surgery, I found out any flowing water higher than mid-shin was going to cause trouble. Thought about buying a collapsable wading staff but heard complaints about breaking them down with sections getting stuck. Also considered a telescoping hiking pole.
    Before I made a decision, my neighbor gave me his Folstaff (he said he doesn't use it because of the sticking issue) to try out on the Madison - first time I used it (worked great by the way; got me to some parts of the river I wouldn't have dreamed of crossing unaided) sure enough I couldn't break it down all the way. Looked around for something to grasp it with (Seal-Dri waders would have been perfect for this; they were certainly useless for pretty much anything else fishing related unless you were looking to sweat off about 15 lbs on an average day); couldn't find anything so decided to tap the offending sections on a rock (plenty of them around) and voila, it separated.
    When I was back at the truck in the evening packing up my gear, I saw another guy with a Folstaff and asked him what he did; he said he tapped it on a rock, too, worked like a charm. I guess as long as one doesn't get too carried away and permanently deforms the tube with excessive force, this is a viable option. I may also cut sections from an old inner tube and throw them in my vest to get a better grip on things.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

You might try putting a couple of pieces of an old rubber mouse pad in your wader pocket. They work great for gripping things like what you were faced with as well as multi-piece rods that don't want to come apart. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

I carry a candle with my gear. Wax the sections every so often. Works great.
    Bob.

After sticking the tip of my wading staff in some rocks on a tough river crossing and having the elastic stretch and sections come apart i got a Simms wading staff. I would just as soon not use one but when i need it I want it to work

I use a Folstaff wading staff. I keep the joints waxed and they still stick I found a good tap on a rock on the tip . Get's the tip lose and the rest come apart with no problem. And I to carry some wax with me for the staff or the rod.

I have the folstaff, I use it all the time. I have a small round cake of ferrule wax I got from Harry Murray and I give the connections a good rubbing. I think it is paraffin, I have seen it in a lot of fly shops under different brands. I have another cake from St croix that came with a rod, orvis has it also. Basically the same as the candle idea above I guess. I rarely have a problem with sticking connections. I have never had a problem with the tip getting stuck in the river and pulling the staff apart, that may be a problem with other brands, I dont know. Frankly, I find the folstaff indispensable.

Recently I read a story by Lefty and he says the metal staffs make enough noise to alert fish, so I have put a layer of black duct tape on the point to see if that dulls the sound. Havent tried that out yet, I doubt if it will hold up, but we'll see.....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I don't want to have to unfold or bungee into place my staff. I use an old cross-country ski pole, and attach it to my belt with a heavy duty retractor. It's always at the ready, only cost $12.00 at a flea market, and it came with a spare.

steve

Pillcaster,
    I think folstaff has a tip attachment to muffle the sound. I tried the rubber tips used on canes but was not happy with them. I'll try the tape route. Still another use for duct tape
    it's all good drifts

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. Can't imagine that the carbide tip on the staff makes much more noise than the studs on my wading boots, which I can definitely hear crunching, but Lefty does know a thing or two about fishing.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

I have a Simms staff. I have had it for two seasons with no sticking issues. The joints are machined so this may be the reason.

+ Reply to Thread