+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confused

Thanks for all the help,
    So with a 5wt., 3X leader,i should use around #10,#12, and #14 flies?
    I might be ugly now,but I was pretty when I was a baby!

Been trying to read everything,I have the Orvis-Fly Fishing Guide, LL Bean Fly Casting Handbook, and anything else I can find to read.
    Ernie

I think you will eventually want a 7wt or 8wt to target the fish you have in mind. But, you have a great starter rod. If you have LM and SM bass, you also have bluegill, crappie, or other panfish around, right? Get some size 6 to 8 poppers, damsel fly nymphs, streamers, and learn to cast your rod and, I promise, you will enjoy yourself. After you get comfortable with tippets, leaders, basic knots, basic casting, then you will have an idea of what type of 7 or 8 wt you may like. Play with the 5wt for a few months, dont be in a rush, enjoy the learning process. Best advise: ** take some casting lessons, learn basic casting and then how to double haul. That will pay off for you in improving your abilities and enjoyment.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Dave,
    Thanks,picked up that one,and Bass On The Fly(A.D. Livingston) also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    Ernie,
    You might want to pick up a copy of Dave Whitlock's book on flyfishing for bass.

Amazon has used copies for a penny plus shipping. It covers a lot of info on equipment, set-up, flies etc. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Bean-Fly-Fishi...r=8-5&keywords

Blog Entries

Ernie,

No problem casting those size flies you mentioned, even some bigger depending upon their weight. It is good to read up on things, even more important to learn to cast properly, way more important as a first step. Check You Tube for beginner fly casting instruction. Texas is a big state so I can not give you any info on local fly clubs in your area. Texas forms the Texas Council of the International Federation of Fly Fishers. There are a number of fly clubs associated with this great organization. You can check out the Texas Council at http://texascouncilifff.com/
    Check them out an look for local fly clubs. Most clubs will offer some form of casting instruction. Also, if you have any local fly shops, check with them.

Don't overthink it, just do it.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Surprised that no one has offered this advice yet!! Ernie, if you will pm your mailing address to me I will send you a 6' 6" "Furled" leader, It will be made from 4" test Berkley monofilament. It will be 12# test and should have no problem turning over large fly's using 4' - 6' of 6 - 8 lb. test mono for a tippet. It will also last you up to 3 or more seasons.
    I also make a 4' furled leader out of 6# mono that some claim will turn over a small car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Surprised that no one has offered this advice yet!! Ernie, if you will pm your mailing address to me I will send you a 6' 6" "Furled" leader, It will be made from 4" test Berkley monofilament. It will be 12# test and should have no problem turning over large fly's using 4' - 6' of 6 - 8 lb. test mono for a tippet. It will also last you up to 3 or more seasons.
    I also make a 4' furled leader out of 6# mono that some claim will turn over a small car!!
    Finally.......

Hi Steven, Awesome tip on the tippets!!!!(sorry for the pun). Your rule of thumb points are easy to remember and now I know. Thankyou

Furled leaders were mentioned but your offer and advice are right on. A short, heavy furled leader with a short hunk of tippet does a great job. The other thing not specifically mentioned is line type. I'd have to take a look to see if they make a bass specific taper in 5 wt. but if not I'd do some exploring and probably give a try to one of the so called 1/2 size heavy lines in a weight forward with heavier lead section. Having used 7wt. and up for bass and others for years I do know that a good Bass Bug Taper can definitely make casting easier with bigger flies, especially when you combine it with Jack Hise leader.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

A 5wt is going to be a little puny for bass. A lot of bass patterns are very wind-resistant, so you need some umph to the rod to be able to cast them very far. A 7/8wt will be just about right.

As for flies, your best bets are large Clousers, Woolly Buggers, Crawfish Patterns, and (my favorite) some purple Bunny Leeches. Some Deer-Hair poppers are also nice to have, as well as a few Crease Minnows.

+ Reply to Thread