+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hook designations

Question Hook designations

When the good SBS presentations are made, the author will very nicely list all the materials but designate the hook using a specific brand and catalog number. It would seem more appropriate to designate the hook simply by size, hook type (dry, wet, nymph, scud, streamer and maybe shank length). To say a hook is a Tiemco #xxx means nothing to those who don't use that brand. To look it up in an equivalence chart is very discouraging.

Here's a decent hook comparison chart (there's plenty of others out there)

Can't speak for Ralph, Hans, Doug and other folks who take the time to post flies here, but I spend enough hours tying and photographing the SBSs. I look at the box the hook comes out of and plug the number in the recipe; I don't really feel like looking up a description of what kind of hook I'm using. A quick glance at the chart should provide the info you're looking for.

Regards,
    Scott

The chart Scott illustrates is a simple one. I like to see the manufacturer information on a recipe. I like to know wire weight, gap and shank length. Nothing is as bad as tying a long shank pattern on a short shank hook... Feel free to provide both nomenclature SBS gurus!

Unless It Is a unique or uncommon hook for fly fishing I think most experienced tyers can make the translation to hooks they use. If you are using a specialty hook then a few words about the hook and why it is used would be appreciated. Beginners should feel free to ask for more information if they can't match the hook. In most cases they will several answers before the original poster can reply.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowchaser View Post
    Unless It Is a unique or uncommon hook for fly fishing I think most experienced tyers can make the translation to hooks they use. If you are using a specialty hook then a few words about the hook and why it is used would be appreciated. Beginners should feel free to ask for more information if they can't match the hook. In most cases they will several answers before the original poster can reply.
    Agreed. After someone like ScottP is generous enough to put all that work into an SBS, seems like the reader could show a little initiative and just google the hook if there is any ambiguity.

I most definitely wish to see the exact hook brand and specs on a fly! Most Most definitely. I am literal I guess. I am a rookie fly tying person and always be a rookie. I do not KNOW hooks all that well. I HAVE to look them up to see if I am using the right hook. I more than likely will have the hook specified in the SBS. Many hooks are different even if they have the same description. But I think it is on the individual tying a fly to get things right for his fly. Just like when assembling the proper MATERIAL to tie the fly. It can't get any more specific and definite as to what hook to use when the exact brand, size, and THEIR hook designation or item number is posted. Just my opinion, it's the only one I am an expert on...grin. Surely must be others out there that feel the same way. I may be weird, but doubt that I am that unique......

ScottP thanks for the hook chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    ... It would seem more appropriate to designate the hook simply by size, hook type (dry, wet, nymph, scud, streamer and maybe shank length). To say a hook is a Tiemco #xxx means nothing to those who don't use that brand. To look it up in an equivalence chart is very discouraging.
    I prefer the manufacturer's number and size. e.g. Dai-Riki 135, size 12

Dry, wet, scud, etc... are not well defined and can cover several different hooks, even within the same brand.

I see many hook types in SBS's that I don't use, but usually the photos in the SBS will tell me the basic type. A quick google will tell me everything I need to know, including the basic type - dry, nymph, scud, etc...., and all the extra sauce - 2X long, 1x heavy, etc...

+ Reply to Thread