+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A bit off topic but -CCW ??

I've had my carry permit for over 30 years.

Celitech,
    Who'd a thunk New York would have been open to the concept so many years ago. Here in Illinois we had to force the issue down "their" throats and then only passed by judicial mandate

Mark

3. Default

I earned mine by carrying a badge for thirty years. So I have a federal permit good in all the states. I have to qualify once a year on range using the same course of fire that current officers shoot which is a lot of fun. We call them old farts day at the range as they have one day a month set aside for us to come out and shoot. I usually end up coaching as I am a former certified range master and instructor. I carry every day at my current job, and even get to go to the range on the clock. Twice in the last month I have run into folks I dealt with in my former life most of which I sent to prison, so a gun might someday come in real handy. Weird thing is here in KS if I had a CCP I would not have to be NICS checked to buy a new gun, but as a retired officer I do go figure.

tpd,
    Simple explantion. The figgur you had to be a little nuts to stay on the job soooooo long being WORRIED that at some point you might be forced to put a few holes into a bad guy and THEN have to PAY a lawyer to DEFEND yourself. As a LEO, the PD is your friend until you get into a "situation". And then it's CYA for them.

Mark

AND,
    To rainbowchaser et al, this ain't ONLY about protecting yourself while fishing. AND certainly, EVERY state did not pass the legislation with that in mind or even as a passing thought. I can't imagine a scenerio ( inject a situation) where a RATIONAL person would say, "I'm glad I didn't have a GUN". You've heard this before, but, can you argue with " it's best to have and NOT need than to NEED and have NOT. ?
    "TRAINING" is a frequently used term to put an aura of DANGER to gun ownership. There is a simple rule that applies " keep your bugger hook out of the bang switch unless you wish to hit the bullseye or kill someone". Understand THAT and you're qualified, ( with certain exclusions).

Mark

Here is something for all those who do not wish to carry a weapon for self defense. I received this as an e-mail from a friend and I thought I would share it:

Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self-defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them.

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life

Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill a wasp!!!
    Last edited by WarrenP; 09-11-2014 at 12:40 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't imagine a scenerio ( inject a situation) where a RATIONAL person would say, "I'm glad I didn't have a GUN". You've heard this before, but, can you argue with " it's best to have and NOT need than to NEED and have NOT. ?

Mark
    You are statistically more likely to shoot yourself than you are to find yourself in a situation where you can legally shoot someone else ( you or someone else are in immediate danger of great bodily harm, here in Michigan). If you survive that you will most certainly regret having the gun. Actually, I bet I own more guns than you do. I just don't carry them when I'm not hunting or practicing.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

rainbowchaser, Had I only known of these statistice................ I must now inform the 55 million or so hand gun owners and about 50% of them CCW licensed that they can possible shoot themselves even BEFORE they experience an opportunity to actually need to defend themselves in "situations". WHAT must have I been thinking???
    My eternal gartitude to you for the enlightemnent. I will urge the aforementioned millions to disarm in view of the to dire possibilities ( or probabilities ?)
    Mark
    PS: And for all my 71 years, I thought I had this issue right.

I don't have a CCW permit. Never felt the need to conceal carry. Besides that my county does not make it easy to obtain one. It generally takes 6 or more months to complete the process once you've been granted approval.

Things are changing is CA. The courts have found in certain cases the 10 day waiting period to be unconstitutional.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 09-13-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "TRAINING" is a frequently used term to put an aura of DANGER to gun ownership. There is a simple rule that applies " keep your bugger hook out of the bang switch unless you wish to hit the bullseye or kill someone". Understand THAT and you're qualified, ( with certain exclusions).

Mark
    Marco, can you elaborate some on this? I'm a firm believer in training. 40 years of shooting handguns and I still train my index finger to rest on the slide or cylinder until ready to fire. The natural tendency is for people to grasp with all fingers, especially the dominant index finger.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread