+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End of GPX floating line sinks

Default End of GPX floating line sinks

Recently the last 4-5 feet of my GPX WF floater has started to sink. I've pliobonded the nail knot but that didn't help. I think I can see some small cracks in the surface of the line in those first few feet. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Ole

One of the line cleaners will help somewhat, but not for long. The cracks are the problem: water is getting into the dacron core of the line. You can try cutting back past the cracks and see if the line still casts okay. 5 feet is probably enough that the real solution is probably just buying a new line.

Incidentally, you could retitle this topic "End of cracked fly line sinks," because this would happen to any line. I use Cortland, SA, and RIO lines, and with my heavy use lines (personal and client 6 weights, personal and client 5 weights, personal 4 weight), I only get 1-2 seasons before it's time to replace.

It happens to all lines after a while. (if you see micro cracks then your line is nearing the finish line) I just gink it up and keep fishing with it until it drives me nuts...then I buy a new line. I think I might try RainX on one I'm going to dump soon just to see what that buys me. I find the lines wear out faster if you're throwing a lot of weighted flies or splitshot etc, also if you leave them in a hot car, fish urban rivers that may have a corrosive chemical soup help deteriorate fly lines. The river here etches the gel coat on canoes so you get the idea. That's why it's important to clean the line off and re treat it often...more often that I do.

P.S. If you were real smart and didn't by into the hype of the single tapered lines and instead bucked that trend and bought a Double Tapered line, all you need to do is turn it over (reverse ends) and you have a new fly line.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 03-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

If it is a fairly new line, send it back to SA. I did this and they sent me a new line. Of course, you will be lineless for a couple of weeks...
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I've found that more frequent cleaning and dressing of the line adds considerably more life to the line. However, they all eventually crack. As previously stated, too much heat is the worst enemy for the plastic coating.

Thanks for the info. I did what I could with cleaning (again) and rubbed on a little Aquaseal. If it works fine, if not I found a new line in my fishing "closet". This line has fished Alaska about 25 days, Idaho steelhead about 30 days and has never been exposed to warm temps. I think age itself dries out plastic and this line might be 4 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I think age itself dries out plastic and this line might be 4 years old.
    Probably not just age, at least with S.A and Cortland lines. I help with a local fly shop that has been in business for 40 years. Occasionally we will turn up some things when going through the storage, including new in box, but old flylines. Many are more than 20 years old. I often use these lines and they all float and cast fine. This includes S.A. Mastery GPX lines that date to the mid 1990's.

A lot of things can cause lines to wear and crack including gasoline, bug repellent, and sunscreen but also sand and grit (and getting stepped on), practice casting on grass, and exposure to UV light. Constantly casting/hauling with the same amount of line outside the guide can cause excessive wear too. This usually happens with integrated shooting head lines (e.g. Teeny, Streamer Express, etc) or with shooting lines. And of course heat kills.

Lines that I fish with around sandy/gritty areas tend to have a shorter lifespan than those that I fish with in cleaner waters.

Hard to know exactly what the issue was with your line.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the stepping on part. Sometimes when the line doesn't shoot it is because it's under my foot!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    If it is a fairly new line, send it back to SA. I did this and they sent me a new line. Of course, you will be lineless for a couple of weeks...
    Or....buy a new line, preferably double taper, AND send the line back for replacement. Then you will have enough lines for several years. I have a spare line for all my rods.

+ Reply to Thread