+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small softhackles

Default Small softhackles

Tying up some #20 PTs and tried 2 different ways to hackle (couldn't wrap the hackle because the partridge didn't have feathers that small; also less fragile with these alternatives):

prepare feather (cut center portion out), place over fly with barbs pointing back towards tail, use 2 soft wraps, adjust length as needed by pulling feather and then finish wraps (tail's a bit long on this one):

prepare feather (cut center portion out), place over fly with barbs pointing forwards over hook eye, use 2 soft wraps, adjust length as needed by pulling feather, push barbs back over the fly and then finish wraps:

Although it doesn't show up very well in the photos, I think I get a better distribution of barbs using the 2nd method and the head of the fly is also smaller and neater (fish probably don't care). Tying that way is also a little faster, not much but enough.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 10-04-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Scott,

From your pics, your right about the 2d method giving better distribution. I would, however, fish both flies with confidence. Nice dressings, somewhat reminiscent of Jim Slattery's Triple Threat Caddis.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Nifty flies. Yes. Most partridge feathers are too big, even for some hook sizes even bigger than #20
    I've had some success by cutting the feather fibers and loading them into a Petitjene tool. When you do that you can mix in a few sparkly fibers too. And/or a few CDC fibers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    I've had some success by cutting the feather fibers and loading them into a Petitjene tool. When you do that you can mix in a few sparkly fibers too. And/or a few CDC fibers as well.
    That'll be option 3; I'll see if I can get some done before I head to MT on Thursday.

Regards,
    Scott

We've got some nasty weather moving in right now. That should get the blue winged olives rockin and rollin.

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    We've got some nasty weather moving in right now. That should get the blue winged olives rockin and rollin.
    That's what I was hoping for, although everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting it since I'll be camping. My neighbor was in YNP last week, had sunny 60s-70s and did pretty well with hoppers but I'm sure the sunshine kept the hatches down.

Regards,
    Scott

Somebody was trying to explain to me how to adjust the size of smaller hackle by spinning the hackle like deer hair - but I couldn't get it to work - would you think to tear the hackle off the stem and tie it on in clumps with the tips facing forward, then spin them, then push them back like option 2?

I so much enjoy fishing these type of fly's there is just something swinging em...

Nice ties shown as well,,,

Be safe
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

I leave everything including the beak and feet on bird skins when I prepare them... Those tiny feathers across the front of the head are usually smaller than any fly I am going to tie... Too bad commercial producers do not think the same...

Blog Entries

If anyone is interested, there are two methods of using larger feathers for smaller soft hackles on youtube. One is demonstrated by Craig Mathews and is the method I use. You notch a large feather and hold it over the hook eye so that the fibers are the correct length and then sort of "roll" the soft hackle feather tips as you tie them on.

+ Reply to Thread