+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steelhead Leader Formulas

Default Steelhead Leader Formulas

Anyone care to share any simple steelhead leader formulas? i think I may head to Erie this year.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

if you're going to the normal erie lob and dunk with an indicator method of fishing all you need is a 5-8 foot section of 8lb mono, I like a color i can see well, many people like amnesia line i like yellow p-line, then about a 3 ft section of tippet, 4x or 5x fluoro tippet is what is used mostly. i use a small swivel to tie tippet onbecause you get a lot of break offs or reties. you really only need a tapered leader if you plan on only using small nymphs without slipshot and an indicator. when it's low and clear i will use the small nymph approach, so have both leaders ready to go.

Bruce,

I generally just use a 2X or 3X fluorocarbon tapered leaders from 7 1/2' to 9' depending on water conditions and clarity. Generally I don't go lighter than 4X even for clear, low water conditions. This works for me and I can generally free all but the worst hang ups in trees or flies stuck to the bottom rocks with this set up.
    Joe Bertolini

Leader Report. I stayed with a 5 1/2' furled leader sent to me by one of our kind members. It was made of Vanish Gold for my 5 wt. rod. All I did was add 2 or 3 ft. of tippet and I was in business. I fished it on a Greys Streamflex 10', 5/6 wt. rod and it worked perfectly. There weren't many fish up in the tribs yet, but I managed 4 with the largest around 7 or 8 pounds. I had no problems with my rig. It held up through the fights just fine.

+ Reply to Thread