+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok, time to build another rod...need some more help.

Default Ok, time to build another rod...need some more help.

I would like to build a rod for my brother-in-law. He was in the Navy during operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield.

After looking at some of KB's work I'm inspired to put his service ribbon just above the winding check/hook keeper.

What I really need help with is what color to do the wraps in. Would one of you Navy Vets please let me know the correct colors of the uniforms so I can make a decision on what colors to use.

Thank you so very much,

TT.

Blog Entries

I have done close to a dozen of these rods now for every service but Marines or Coast Guard.

The official Navy Blue is Pantone #275. The closest color and the one I usually use, is Cobalt Blue. This is Gudebrod #50 or ProWrap #455. This should be tipped in gold, either a bright gold metallic or Gudebrod #340. I prefer the bright gold metallic, 3 turns.

You have an ambitious ribbon to duplicate.

The Southwest Asia Service Medal?s ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide and has fifteen stripes. The first stripe is 1/16 inch of Black followed by 1/8 inch of Chamois, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Blue, 1/16 inch of White, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Red, 3/16 inch of Chamois, 3/32 inch of Myrtle Green and a center stripe of1/16 inch of Black. The next stripe is 3/32 inch of Myrtle Green followed by 3/16 inch of Chamois, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Red, 1/16 inch of White, 1/16 inch of Old Glory Blue, 1/8 inch of Chamois and 1/16 inch of Black.

These colors are almost impossible to match 100% I use the following:
    Black
    Tan (Gudebrod #290)
    Royal Blue (Gudebrod #245)
    White
    Candy Apple (Gudebrod #335)
    Medium Green (Gudebrod #6779)

If you are ordering ProWrap, the color charts suck

#722 Almond is close to the Gudebrod Tan, but a shade darker.
    #446 Regal Blue is very close to the Gudebrod Royal Blue.
    #325 Fire Red works for the red but it is a tad brighter.
    #513 Guacamole is as close as they have to the Gudebrod Medium Green but it is a bit brighter. It does tone down a tad with the CP.

Naturally, you MUST use Color Preserver.

PM me if the ribbon kicks your rear end and I will give you some tips on wrapping it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Holy Cow! Thanks KB. I've got a couple of those colors already. I can't thank you enough for the suggestions there. I might definitely be pm'ing you, but I'll give it a try first. I'll get all my stuff through h&h, so it should be easy to order the rest of the colors from them. Now I just have to decide on a blank, lol.

He's going to love this...hehehehe.

Thanks again,

TT.

This might be useful in arranging the wraps in correct order. http://www.unl.edu/nrotc/reference/U...eg/navyrib.pdf

This a great thing you are doing for your brother in law, I am sure he will cherish it for the remainder of his life. Do a really good job on the lacquer it's going to be shown off a long time.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    Holy Cow! Thanks KB. I've got a couple of those colors already. I can't thank you enough for the suggestions there. I might definitely be pm'ing you, but I'll give it a try first. I'll get all my stuff through h&h, so it should be easy to order the rest of the colors from them. Now I just have to decide on a blank, lol.

He's going to love this...hehehehe.

Thanks again,

TT.
    American Tackle Black Matrix with a matching matrix reel seat. Medium fast action, nice casting blank. I fish a 9' 5w in the 5 pc configuration and love it.

Any blank with a black or matte black finish works for these. Some of the Batson blanks in dark blue would be good for a Navy themed blank as well. These ar all proven blanks that work well for many anglers so you can concentrate on the color.

PM me before you wrap the ribbon. It took a bunch of lopsided ribbons to finally figure out a method to wrap them so they come out symmetrical.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks KB, I'll pm you then. It'll be a little while, but I will definitely pm you first. I'd like to check out that matrix blank. I really like the look of them, and I've used a couple Batson blanks, turned out really nice for what I was using them for. I really like how the Batson blanks cast, never tried a Matrix.

Well, I'm off to teach a casting class.

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

TT.

+ Reply to Thread