+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bison, Elk, Wolves and the Lamar Valley. Cutthroats too.

Default Bison, Elk, Wolves and the Lamar Valley. Cutthroats too.

I just returned from a mini-vacation centered around the Lamar Valley and the Beartooth Plateau. So much has changed.

I first started fishing the Lamar in the early 1960s when my family built a small cabin on the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone near Crandall Creek. My dad and I often fished the Lamar for days at time without ever seeing another fisherman.

Back in the mid-1960s there were significant riparian differences too. The triangular delta formed by the confluence of Soda Butte Creek and the Upper Lamar was a willow/alder jungle so tall and dense it was easy to lose your bearings. Moose and beaver were common sights in those days. The cottonwood trees across from the Buffalo Ranch were surrounded by willows too. And both moose and beaver were common sights there as well. My dad and I were chased off an evening rise--by an angry and aggressive bull-moose, more times than I can remember.

In those days government hunters killed hundreds--if not thousands--of elk each winter in order to maintain an elk herd of approximately 5000. Due largely to political opposition from organized hunter's groups, that annual "Yellowstone Elk Slaughter" was unceremoniously abandoned. I'm not sure when exactly. But the elk herds mushroomed up to 30,000 or more in the years that followed.

Alder, willow and cottonwood shoots never got more than a few inches off the surface. The cottonwood trees alive now, immediately across from the Buffalo Ranch, are the same trees I saw as teenager in the mid-1960s. Not a single new adult cottonwood has managed to survive in the Lamar since the winter elk shootings were abandoned. Willows at the upper end of the valley disappeared almost entirely. And so did the Moose and Beaver.

The re-introduction of wolves in Yellowstone has had a dramatic and beneficial effect. The officially reported reason for wolf re-introduction seems to have been to "Complete the Yellowstone Ecosystem." Many locals think the real reason was to somehow solve a out-of-control and rapidly mushrooming elk herd.

Elk habits and numbers have been dramatically effected. Overall elk populations are down and the individuals that have survived no longer collect in large groups in the Lamar Valley, as they did for so many years. Smaller groups can be seen scattered all over the valley and up into the surrounding foothills, as soon as the winter snows permit. Willows are rapidly re-appearing now, particularly so at the confluence of the Lamar and Soda Butte. No significant reappearance of Moose and Beaver has yet occurred. And neither have any new young adult cottonwood trees. But the initial signs are indeed encouraging.

Not surprisingly, Bison habits seem to be changing too. I'm going to have to do some research in order to follow-up on this anecdotal introduction. Are overall Bison numbers now increasing? As the elk numbers did for so many years?

I don't know. But something new is going on. Even if Bison numbers are holding steady, their habits are clearly changing. The elk are largely gone from the Lamar now, leaving the grassy savannah-like meadows almost entirely to the Bison. And what Bison there are seem increasingly inclined to gather into ever-larger herds.

With the possible exception of deep late winter snows, wolves don't represent much threat to adult Bison. Not to the extent they do to elk anyway. But wolves to prey heavily on freshly-born Bison calves. Gathering together in ever larger Serengeti-like herds seems an obvious response to a recently-introduced predator.

I'd like to know more. I'm speculating about cause and effect, I admit. But I have no doubts about my observations. I'm 63 years old. I've been visiting the Lamar Valley nearly ever summer since the early 1960s. The changes I've witnessed there have been dramatic and ongoing. And still in progress now.

Will the willows and the cottonwoods ever recover to their former abundance? Will the Moose and Beaver ever reappear in the Lamar Valley? Are the Bison now replacing Elk as an over-population problem? Those questions I cannot answer.

But I can tell you the valley is far different than it once was. And what I saw in the early 1960s seemed--almost obviosly--like a more balanced and more abundant system.

Ah. And the fishing has changed too. The river changed dramatically this year during the runoff. New channels have been formed and there is a new extra-wide gravel bar delta adjacent to the cottonwood stand at the Buffalo Ranch. The wide meadow between those cottonwoods and the mouth of the small canyon just upstream of Slough Creek is so densely populated with Bison it's not easy (or safe) to fish there often. The runs banks and pools from the Buffalo Ranch upstream to the confluence of Soda Butte are so heavily peppered with elaborately outfitted fishermen it's hard to find a place to fish. As a life-long devotee of the Lamar Valley, I now find myself relying more on binoculars, spotting scope and memories, than on my fly rod. The water levels are high and healthy this season. But it's still not easy to find a place to fish.

Despite all that, the most effective late-summer, late afternoon fishing combination is still the same as it ever was: a fat Mormon Cricket with a nymph dropper. Cutthroats are--and will likely always be--hopelessly addicted to Mormon Crickets and Grasshoppers.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 08-14-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Excellent perspective , thank you!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I found your observations/assessments to be very interesting. Nature is very resiliant, but she doesn't always return things to the way they were before we started messing with them. It will be good to hear more about your experiences in this area. Thanks for sharing them.

Jim Smith

This is a followup to my own thread.

Today's Bozeman Daily Chronicle had two interesting by-lines. One was a report announcing Park Bison numbers where "down slightly, but within the error bars of 'natural variability.' " That story did not mention my assertion: that what bison there are have changed herding behavior, and are now tending to congregate in ever-larger groups, rather than scattered out across the valleys in smaller herds.

Even more interesting, and ominous, was a University of Idaho study that both predicts and observes erosive runoff damage to high altitude cutthroat habitats, caused by warmer winters, larger snow packs and increased runoff. I held off making alarmist comments in my original post because I need to go back to Lamar sometime soon, and walk the entire length of the meadow portion of the valley. I've made that hike before. It takes all day long, with little time to fish. I want to do that again.

But at first glance (last week) I saw many new post 2011 runoff changes to the river. Some by walking and fishing. Some with binoculars and some with the spotting scope. What I did see did not look good. The best big fish holding water for decades has been along the South bank of the river in the lower end of the meadow. That section is both downstream from the Buffalo Ranch and upstream from the mouth of the canyon above Slough Creek. The river used to sweep along a steep bank there, lined by boulders and a few remaining willows. Most of that section is dry ground now, as a new channel has been carved, from the Buffalo Ranch down to the end of the big meadow. I didn't inspect that section on foot. There were hundreds of bison there last time through. Big males were rolling in dust wallows, butting heads and fording the river. I've occasionally walked through small groups of 20 bison, in order to get back to my truck after a long day of fishing. That's probably not a smart thing to do. But if you walk slowly and assertively, and never make eye contact with a male bison, you can usually get away with it. Walking through a herd of 400 or more would be nuts. I

But that new channel did look relatively featureless through my 60x Leica spotting scope, like a straight-through gravel channel with no boulders and few deep spots. At the head of that new channel is a huge wash delta, adjacent to the aging cottonwoods across from the Buffalo Ranch. Deltas like that are predicted in the Idaho warming study, as a result of exaggerated runoff conditions. They predict it. And there it is. There is a similar run off whip lash gravel delta on the South Fork of the Snake, where that magnificent river first encounters the flatter valley floor, after meandering down through the canyons from Jackson Hole.

The Idaho study also predicts exaggeratedly variable high-altitude run off conditions will--over the long run--favor rainbows over cutthroats. I need to get back to the Lamar--next time with back pack, sandwiches, water bottle and camera. So I can walk the entire meadow. And photograph it. The meadow has changed considerably. I've been watching this place since the early 1960s and this is the single biggest one-year run off remodeling I've seen.

I On my last visit I watched a hawaiian-shirted tourist walk quickly and excitedly toward a huge male bison, with camera in hand. He was already too close. And judging by his body language it looked like he was planning to walk right up the huge brute for a closeup shot. I yelled out: "you'd better not get any closer. He'll f*&^$%g kill you!" The tourist looked back at me with an annoyed look. As if I'd butted into his business and ruined his day. But he did stop walking. Snapped a few photos and then walked back to the road. I smiled at my wife. "I just saved that fool's life," I said.

Wonderful reporting - Trav says you "shouldn't butt in, get your camera ready and take pictures." Thanks so much for the report, Trav and nephew Tom are fishing up there tomorrow....and like you they've been doing this for a very long time now, I'm not going, can't fish and can't stand not to.
    Very hard.

Sandy,
    Great reporting. I'm the guy you guided on the Madison when you found the beaver. I'm still tying
    off of that pelt. Keep up the great reporting.
    SweetStreamS

Quote Originally Posted by SweetStreamS View Post
    Sandy,
    Great reporting. I'm the guy you guided on the Madison when you found the beaver. I'm still tying
    off of that pelt. Keep up the great reporting.
    SweetStreamS
    I remember that day well. It must have been close to 30 years ago now. I also remember--when we stopped for lunch on the east bank of the river--we (I) got severely embarrassed by Dan Glines....the Ennis guide who fished out of an ugly, homemade square-ended fiberglass boat for so many years. He used to fish with the legendary Jordan McPhetres a lot too. I still vividly remember that day, and him (his customers) catching a dozen or more fish swinging soft-hackles, across and down, at the edges of a mid-river weed bank, while we ate our sandwiches. And while I bit my tongue.

I've since learned to fish that way myself. But seldom with quite that much success.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 08-21-2011 at 08:46 AM.

Sandy,
    Was that Syvester Nemes???
    SweetStreamS

No no. Not Syl. He was a top-knotch guide and fisherman. One of the best.
    He's still around (Jordon McPhetres is long gone). But now retired. I'm going to spend time tonight with a guy who will know his name.

I'll fill that detail in when I can.

His name was Dan Glines. He still comes to Ennis every summer. But he hasn't been an active guide in many years.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 08-18-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Thanks for this, my wife LOVES the Lamar valley, she will enjoy this report. I hope you add more observations and my gosh, pics would be sweet--
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

+ Reply to Thread