+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Rod Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    I would look at the Bob Clouser rods by TFO. Bob fishes and guides on the Susquehanna, so I think he has a pretty good idea of what a smallmouth rod should do.

For smallmouth, I fish both a St Croix Legend Ultra 9' 6wt and the Bob Clouser 8'9" 8wt.
    Prior to the TFO connection, Clouser worked with St. Croix. My primary warmwater rod is the St. Croix Clouser 8wt. Believe it or not, paired with a Clouser line you can pitch a small housecat into a 20 knot headwind. Pretty good setup for bass.

Quote Originally Posted by 92Esquire View Post
    Prior to the TFO connection, Clouser worked with St. Croix. My primary warmwater rod is the St. Croix Clouser 8wt. Believe it or not, paired with a Clouser line you can pitch a small housecat into a 20 knot headwind. Pretty good setup for bass.
    That is also my primary smallie rod. I should have clarified that in my first post. It is also a great rod for the salt.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    That is also my primary smallie rod. I should have clarified that in my first post. It is also a great rod for the salt.

Dave
    I got to cast the TFO Clouser at the Va Fly fishing Festival during a class I took with Mr. Clouser, himself. Very nice rod, medium action (Bob said it was a "progressive" action), and very, very nice looking rod. I picked the BVK instead mainly due to the weight difference. Also, casting from my nucanoe I thought the extra length may be helpful.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If you're on a budget (like I am), Scientific Anglers makes a nice 5/6 wt rod. That's what I usually use for smallies here in TN. They run around $35.00. I also like my Eagle Claw (I call it the Yellow Peril) 6wt. It is very tough and casts really nice, probably not like a $500.00 rod, but good enough for me. They cost about $25.00.

Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
    I got to cast the TFO Clouser at the Va Fly fishing Festival during a class I took with Mr. Clouser, himself. Very nice rod, medium action (Bob said it was a "progressive" action), and very, very nice looking rod. I picked the BVK instead mainly due to the weight difference. Also, casting from my nucanoe I thought the extra length may be helpful.
    I've cast both the BVK and the Professional. I think both rods would make great smallie rods in either a 6 or 8wt. The BVK is lighter but also faster.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

There are lots of good rods out there. What you get depends upon how much that you want to spend and if you have a requirement to test cast the rod rod before you buy it. I would be reluctant to buy any rod without test casting it unless I had no choice. There are lots of excellent rods out there, but the trick is finding out what rod feels best to you and how the rod casts with the type of lines that you want to use. You are not going to know that unless you test cast the rods, preferably with your fly line or a fly line that is similar to what you will be using.

I can tell you you that I have cast the Temple Fork BVK six weight, and it is nice casting rod. I have also cast several Echo rods, and I like the way that they cast better than the BVK's although they do not feel as light in the hand as the BVK.. If you are willing to spend more money, you should test cast the Orvis Hydros rods and Legend Elite Rods.

If your will be buying two rods, get a six and and eight weight. If you want to use just one rod for smallies, then get a seven weight

If you are getting

+ Reply to Thread