+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Recommendations

Default Trip Recommendations

Hi All,
    My boss and I are hoping to plan a quided trip to somewhere near Jackson Wy, Driggs, ID, etc. in the June or July timeframe.

What rivers, or guides would you recommend to an out of towner? I am based in Norcal, but know nothing about the legendary fishing in that area. We are planning on fishing 3-4 days and would be open to checking out a few spots if they were in the general vicinity of each other. Any specific places we shouldn't miss? I've checked out a few lodges online, but am overwelmed by the options.

If you need more info to make a recommendation, let me know!

Thanks is advance!

If you came at the end of July, you could do a day each on the Snake below Jackson, the Henry's Fork, the Madison, and the Yellowstone, with drives of roughly and hour and a half each night to get to the base town for the next place (you could do all except the Snake trip based in W Yellowstone). Earlier than July 20, the Yellowstone and Snake will be question marks, and everything but the HF will be unfishable before about June 15-20.

There is one single lodge I categorically do not recommend, and they don't even fish my water so I don't have a dog in the fight. IM me if you want to know who it is.

Kaboom1 and I will be in that neck of the woods in mid September. In rearsearching campgrounds for the trip I found that the closer you get to Yellowstone the higher the cost of accomodation (even campgrounds).

I like the idea of a combo trip with the Madson and HF. Thanks for the input on the months to go!

I think we have decided on the Madison and HF, unless someone suggests we don't miss another option like the Yellowstone if we are in the area. Any input on Henry's Fork Anglers or Trouthunter for guides? Also, the trip has been moved to August if that changes any recommendation you might make. Thanks again for the help!

If you prefer dries to nymphs, less boats on the water, and bigger numbers over higher average size, the Yellowstone beats the Madison hands down. It won't get out of runoff until at least mid-July though, and will be at its best this season from early August onward.

Hello s kavert, First of all, welcome to FAOL from SoCal. Good to have you on board. Now, you know FAOL 2011 Montana Fish-in is being held at West Yellowstone, MT July 15-23 at Campfire Lodge. Maybe you could make that??? http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ontana-Fish-In that's the shortcut to the thread. Read it and check it out. It's not that far from Jackson, WY and even closer to Driggs, ID. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

If your staying around Jackson, figure on fishing the Snake River using Henry's Fork Outfitters. Picking up the Madison or Yellowstone rivers in a short three or four day fishing trip will include a lot of time driving to get there. So it depends on how much time you want for fishing or how much time you want to spend driving.
    For the Madison (depends on where, but) I'd use Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn guides because I'd be wanting some streamer action via them. Bob Jacklin's Shop in West Yellowstone is a good choice for the Yellowstone River or Madison. Their is also George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler shop in Livingstone (All good shops with good guide service) ... and I'm sure LF can make more suggestions.
    Good that you moved your trip to August. I wouldn't go for fishing around there until after July 15. Not that there isn't any, but your options are much more limited until then.

Understand that I choose my guides for what they can teach me....not necessarily for where they take me.

I'm heading back out there this summer. (unless the gas prices keep going up)
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 04-23-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

One could do a trip on the Teton out of Driggs. A guide operating there used to post here with some frequency.

Another choice not mentioned is a float on the S. Fork of the Snake in ID. It would entail a little driving, but not too bad.

There is a lot of stuff in Wyoming that has not been mentioned. When in that area, there are many, many choices, and sometimes the smaller water is more fun because you will see few others on it.

Also, if anyone could comment on the guides/lodges listed below?

Trouthunter
    Fire Hole Ranch
    Madison Valley Ranch

They all look like first class outfits, but could use opinions from anyone who has used them.

Thank you!

+ Reply to Thread