+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Highline (North Central Montana) Furious Fishing Tale Report.

Lol, yeah, I hardly ever wear one, especially when I'm fishing, lol. I don't wear one at work because I've scratched a few patients with it in the past and I don't want a repeat of that. And then I just never think about it when I get to the weekend.
    I never noticed your watch, just your fish...and the flies dangling out of their mouths, lol.

TT.

Oh, man...it's raining! I can't even start to tell you how glad I am to see rain instead of snow, although they say it's goint to change to snow tonight. It was almost 60 here yesterday. I badly wanted to head out for a few hours last night, but couldn't. I'd love to be out there today with this light rain coming down. I bet it would be incredible fishing on the stream right now. Oh well, only two more days till Saturday and I'll be out there doing it again.

TT.

Well, this weekend wasn't exactly "stellar", but it wasn't a bust either, mostly because the weather didn't cooperate very well. It rained all day yesterday and then started to snow in the evening. I went with a friend of mine to a reservoir known for big fish, about 40 miles away, to see if the water was open, which it was. I fished from shore with a stripping basket, gotta love them, and Mike fished from his float tube. It was so stinking cold that I was only able to make about 5 casts before I had to take a break and warm my hands up. I don't know what the water temperature was, but I can tell you it was incredibly cold. Mike fished for as long as he could stand it and when he finally got out of the water he said the only way he knew he was walking was because his feet made a sound when they hit the ground, lol. I caught 2 small trout, and Mike, unfortunately, got skunked. After I dropped him off at his house I went back out to the mountains to try my luck a little closer to home. It was, I think, even more windy and rainy than it was where we were earlier in the day! I could only take about an hour of it, but did manage to land another 7 or 8 trout.
    Today, being a new day, I got some yard work done after church and after the sun came back out I thought I'd give it another try. I cringed a little when I saw what the flags were doing on the way out. I did get a little reprieve from the wind though when I got down to the water line below the dam. It was still pretty cold though, and the fishing was slow, but it was fishing. I packed it up when I couldn't feel the rod in my hand anymore. I did pretty well considering the 30+ mph wind that was blowing. I had a heck of a time feeling the strikes and setting the hook, and I wasn't able to get pictures of any of the larger trout I had on because I didn't quite land them, but I was close, lol. Still, I did take a few pics of a few that I did land.

The view from the dam
    IMG_0032.jpg
    Nice little bow.
    IMG_0028.jpg
    Another one that had some really unique markings.
    IMG_0031.jpg
    Last edited by Thunderthumbs; 04-04-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post

The view from the dam
    Attachment 7940
    Oh man, what a view. That's gorgeous.
    Tim

Tim,

If I'd panned to the right you would've been able to really see the mountains in all their winter splendor. It really is a beautiful place.

TT.

Great report, keep them coming! I love fishing with my wife also. She is a poor caster, but seems to always out fish me.

Bilko,

My wife has really come a long way in the past 2 years. I love the fact that she is just fine with fishing on her own somewhere downstream. My dad almost couldn't believe it when we took him fishing last year. She rigged up her rod and off she went. It about blew me out of the water last year when we were at Rock Creek for the salmon fly hatch and she was there in the water turning over rocks, actually looking for bugs and playing with them! I still giggle when I look at those pictures...just love it!

TT.

My last patient came in a little early today, which poured gas on the fire burning in my mind, that if given the chance, I'd go fishing this afternoon. It provided me the perfect opportunity. I invited a friend of mine, Tim, to join me. He had recently taken the fly fishing class that I put on at my church. It was a 6 week course, focusing mainly on basic casting, but I also covered equipment, fishing strategies, fly tying and watercraft.
    I met him at his house, loaded up, and off we went for the 10 minute drive to the lake. I helped him set up, and then gave him one of my crystal muddlers to tie on, and I did the same. I think it might have been his second or third cast and he had a good strike, but his timing was just a bit off, and he didn't quite set the hook quick enough. It wasn't long though, and he had his first trout ever on a fly rod to hand.
    I did pretty well too. I landed a beautiful rainbow that was as purple as I've ever seen one. By the end of our short outing, we had both done pretty well, and Tim was a proud convert who quickly agreed to another outing...soon!

TT.

P.S. How do you guys get your pictures so big. I look at all the other posts and there are nice big pics to look at. I'd like to be able to do the same.

Tim's first trout on the fly.
    IMG_0035.jpg

stunning rainbow.
    IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

A view of the bay we fished for a short
    while.
    IMG_0037.jpg

Hugo,

Great pics and report. Congrats on making a convert to the long rod. Your pics will enlarge when clicked on, and will go even larger when clicked on again. To post larger pics to start with, using Photobucket, I just put the cursor over th picture I want to post and a drop down menu will appear. Copy the Image code (IMG code)(last one on the list) and paste that where you want the picture to appear.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Great series of reports TT! Keep 'em comming.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread