+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly Storage

Adjustable Plano or Flambeau boxes for the large flys and Altoids type tins with foam inserts for smaller ones. The big boxes can be stored in tackle bags like those found here http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...3Bcat104777280. The Altoids tins can be carried in the outside pockets of the bags and just transferred to your preferred carrying method (vest, pack, whatever)

Does no one dream anymore? I saw this once and said to myself, "Self, one day you will have one of these, and you will have to work hard to fill it, but then you will have flies!"

http://www.stoneycreekflytying.com/t...ngton-full.htm

One day, I must dream, but one day.
    David

Everyone must believe in something, I believe I'll go canoeing. -HDT

Flyfishing is a drug. It's addictive, it can be expensive, not many others will understand it, it is possible to get others hooked, and everyone has a favorite place to get their fix, but there's no hangover in the morning (from the fishing at least).

Blog Entries

The two gray bins with drawers is where I store every thing I am not carrying.

This is how I store what I am carrying..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

doftya,

That really is some beautiful craftsmanship. I probably dream more about being able to make one of those, than having one - although, I wouldn't turn one down!

flyfishfairwx - Like your rolling cabinet system! Nice set-up.

Best regards, Dave S.

I have one of the Cabelas bags that come with four empty Plano boxes. I tie everything up that I think I'll need and fill my four fly boxes that go into my backpack... then I tie everything else I think I might need and put into the four Plano boxes and throw it into the truck also. I've never been without something I've forgotten, only something someone else had that I didn't know about!!! You know how that goes...

"why didn't you tell me about that fly? I could've tied some of those up and you wouldn't have run out!... why we'd still be fishing... we'd have fish up to our elbows if you'd told me about that fly!?!?!?!?!"

flyfishfairwx, thank you for letting my wife know that I am not all that obsessed with fly fishing. your work area looks great. as far as for storage, I either use the "normal" fly fishing boxes for stream side use and plano storage boxes for bulk storage at home. I am wanting to create a box that was shown in a different thread for use in my boat, http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...1&d=1293754955 this box has really peaked my interest though. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...-under-5-bucks.

Thanks everyone for the replies - keep 'em coming.

I'll probably stay with the plastic multi-compartment storage containers but will probably "down-size" as I just picked up some of the Flambeau 4007 boxes which provide 36 compartments per box and they're only 11" x 7". I'll use these for my smaller patterns (midges, nymphs) and keep the larger boxes for dries and streamers.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

What I like to do is strategically place flies in trees and bushes along the rivers where I fish. Then I don't have to carry flies with me, I just pluck them from the adjacent foliage. Well, that's the plan, currently I'm still in the phase of filling my storage areas.

- Jeff

P.S. I tend to store them at home either in fly boxes, and in empty hook boxes, mint boxes, and anything else laying around.
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread