+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet Waders - Heads Up

Lightbulb Wet Waders - Heads Up

Last season I was hoping that Simms would come out with a sandal with their Vibram Streamtread sole. Guess what ?? ( I have a previous model of a Simms wading sandal and it has been good wet wading footwear. It did have one major flaw - velcro closures. I never lost a sandal while wading, but the possibility was always a concern. The new Streamtread Sandal has a laced closure which should prove to be very secure. )

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/Str...j:72.174.54.68

Ordered a pair yesterday, with a 25% discount on the occasion of Simms' annual turkey sandwich day at The Grizzly Hackle in Missoula. The sandal version also accepts the studs used on the boots.

Not to start another discussion of felt vs. whatever, but I have heard really good things about the Simms wading boots with these soles, and am eager to give the sandals a go.

Just a couple months out !!

John

P.S. Don't know if an oversized Streamtread Sandal would work as wading footwear with waders, but it is worth considering. I have used oversized Teva sandals with waders occasionally, and that is a very satisfactory option when the temps are decent and the streambed is not too difficult. Lots easier hiking in with that set up, and lots easier on the more expensive gear that doesn't get beat up on trails.
    The fish are always right.

I read somewhere sandals are problematic with gravels entering the sole and are hard to dislodge. Last year I bought a pair of Cabela's "loafer" type because of this concern and they did OK for wet wading. I gather you havent had a problem with this?

Default Sand, gravel, smaller stones ...

... can be something of a problem.

With a more "open" design, it is easy enough to remove them simply by lifting and shaking your foot. The current Simms design is a bit more "closed" than I would prefer, but that should reduce the amount of larger material that can get in and I think the sizing will allow for thicker socks which eliminates a lot of the irritation caused by getting smaller materials inside.

Part of it gets down to whether you are a "tender foot" in the literal sense, and that is not meant negatively. I seem to tolerate stuff getting in my footwear, whether boots or sandals, better than a lot of folks do.

Guess I'll know in a few months how the sandals work out. No matter what on that score, I'll know whether I want to invest in the Simms Streamtread boots when I need to replace my current boots.

John
    The fish are always right.

What I've been using for years are these Guard Socks. http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/guard_socks.html

I've tried the Keen's and some Teva's that are darn near identical to the Simms. But they get full of junk and it starts to hurt with those small pebbles jabbing at your feet. There OK for just hopping into the river or on a boat ect... just not all day wading. If you already wear socks with slippers, well, that's a different issue. But these Guard socks are meant to be warn with your wading boots. I wear there wet wading sock underneath like I would wear socks with a pair of waders. It's kinda like wearing your waders but not, your in shorts and you have your boots for a sturdy platform to fish from. These have added all day comfort and support for those nice summer days. Combine these with some quick dry shorts and your in business. There also cheaper then 90$ to use with your existing equipment when it gets hott...
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Cheap gym shoes have always been MY go to's for wet wading. The sand and gravel that casuse INTENSE pain are merely my opportunity , much like wearing a hair shirt, to pay for SOME of my sins.

Mark

I always had problems with the velcro straps, especially if any river vegetation got worked into it.

I saw the new Korkers wading shoe (and boots) yesterday. Their new sole system is a significant improvement.

Those Simms sandals look very similar to the Keen sandals I've had for the past 5 years or so. If they are like mine, they do tend to come off somewhat easily when wading. I secure mine to my ankles with velcro tethers that I also use with flippers in my float tube.

I agree with what you say about the problem that Simms had with velcros straps -- I've got a pair of them too. A couple years ago they beefed up the velcro by using industrial strength velcro, which was an improvement over their prior models, but I don't understand why they simply didn't go to quick release plactic buckles.

I wet wade 8 months out of 12 and just use my regular wading shoes with a set-up like Lucky88. I never quite understood why some folks feel compelled to wear different footwear than they do when they are not wet wading. Sandals are for Romans, not fisherman.

I want the same support, stability and protection when wading, every time I go fishing. I can see the advantage to a lighter shoe for long hikes out but if I don't feel like wearing my clunky boots for a hike over 3 miles, I just bring along an old pair of proper hiking shoes and hide them in the brush and pick them up on the way out. Most of the time I just deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I never quite understood why some folks feel compelled to wear different footwear than they do when they are not wet wading. Sandals are for Romans, not fisherman.
    I think you'd understand if you came to MT and fished with me in my drift boat on a hot, summer day. As they say "Rome wasn't built in a day" but I think we could show you in less than a day why sandals might be an attractive alternative to your normal "non-Roman" wading attire.

I used to use old tennis shoes also to wet wade, but the wet wading shoes I use now have 2 advantages - Sole not as slippery as tennis shoes and the second - Way less stink! The second reason may be the most important if you ask the Mrs.....

Also, I love my Patagonia wading boots, but they are just too hot when the 90 degree plus days hit in July and August....

+ Reply to Thread