+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Boise, ID

Question To Boise, ID

My girlfriend is heading to Boise tomorrow for three months for her job. I (we) were curious about the city and activities for someone who will be living out of a Marriott for a while? She loves to fly fish as much as I do and on our last trip out that way didn't have much time to spend there. Since we were headed from Silver Creek to the Owyhee.

Just wondering about some activities for this time of year. Is is safe (my concern) for a woman to be fishing by herself and being in the city. Some of the local waters near by that may not be too far but still are fishable. Just some general thoughts you may have about the area would be great.

Thanks
    -Jake & Deb

HPIM0826.jpg10111066.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

well there's the boise river running thru the city and is accessible the entire length along the green belt. it's very safe. there's about anything you want for activities culturally and entertainment. my son lives there and does some fishing. there's the possibility of steelhead. idaho fish and game moves excess hatchery fish to the boise. boise is a great place to spend time.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Gretchen and Al Beatty, long time Sponsors of FAOL as well as old friends are based in Boise. They are great folks and I know they would be very willing to put Deb on the right water. Check out BT's in our Sponsor section.

Boise is a WONDERFUL PLACE TO LIVE WORK AND PLAY. As far as if it is safe for a woman to fish by herself, I would say yes. This time of year the boise river will be the best place to fish and in town. I start at the broadway bridge and fish upstream and then go down stream from the bridge. You can catch steelhead, bows and browns. The bows and browns range in size from 6 inches to 27 inches. The steelhead run a little on the small size with a 25 inch being big. I use nympths and streamers when I fish. Good water until it gets blown out. After that I go to the south fork of the boise and then stillwater places I have in mind. If you want you can pm me. BOB

If she left today you need to go visit her next weekend. The Western Idaho Fly Fishing Expo is Jan. 14-15 at the fairgrounds. Here is a web site.

http://www.bvffexpo.com/index.html

She should be able to get lots of info there.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Two Words

Zoo Boise. Best small city zoo. EVER.

Bogus Basin for skiing...try the night skiing.

Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Sierra Trading Pose in the same town are nice, as well.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I firmly second Ladyfisher's suggestion of contacting Al and Gretchen Beatty in Boise. Not only are they great fly fishers and fly tyers, they are just plain folks. They'll give you the straight stuff on the boise area.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

The S. Fork of the Boise below Anderson Ranch Reservoir is worth asking about.

If you have the chance to go up there, it would be great to get a float on the S. Fork of the Snake, which is a ways west and north of Boise but a worthy winter fishing destination if the weather is "nice" for the Idaho winter.

Thanks all for the good advice and encouragement! Puts me a little at ease. She arrived today safely and is looking forward to hookin into something after her work days and explore the area on the weekends as well. Next question is what should I tie for here that can produce this time of year? I'm sure it's kinda like the Deschutes this time of year but anything out of the norm would be fun.

Thanks
    -Jake

Just curious: Other than the Boise River, are there other good rivers and streams close by?
    Randy

+ Reply to Thread