+ Reply to Thread

Thread: remember the rare birds skins that were stolen...

Normand Guest

Default remember the rare birds skins that were stolen...

...last year or so?

they have been recovered

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2010/11/22/steal-299-rare-bird-skins-for-fly-tying/

i have seen this kid at numerous fly fishing/tying shows tie some amazing salmon flies

Blog Entries

hope he enjoys the prison time, doubt he will be tying at many shows for a while.

Eric

Blog Entries

If this is a first offense, he'll get probation. It could be argued that this was a victimless crime.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Stealin is not hardly a victimless crime.

I'm not so sure about the victimless crime being a viable arguement. Those bird skins were owned by someone when he stole them and as they are considered very rare, they are worth quite a bit of money. That's grand larceny any way you look at it, not to mention that he was trying to sell stolen goods from protected/endangered species internationally. Even if it is his first offense, I would be surprized and a bit dissappointed if he doesn't get some jail time. That way he could add Jail Bird to his inventory of fly tying materials

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 11-23-2010 at 03:02 PM.

I hope they throw the book at him. Not only is he a thief, but he is the poster child for "Ugly American", casting us in a bad light. He also makes fly fishers look bad.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

I agree with all of you. But it will not be looked at that way. Folks don't get as upset with someone who stole from a "non-person". "Sure, it's still a crime, but he didn't steal from Grandma." It's all in the generated perception that a good or even fair lawyer will produce.

A lot of this is driven by the people that want these flies. When a collector wants a absolutely correct fly, he or she will pay thousands to get it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

At some point in time someone, a person, had taken the time to earn the money or personally collect those feathers. What they then did with them was their business, either they donated the collection, sold it or still owned it. But when this young man took it upon himself to take something he had no right to, he in effect stole part of the owners life. The owner can get more money, more feather (probably), but none of us can replace the time we spend on a task. When something is stolen it is paramount to stealing part of the owners lifetime.

The black eye he gave his mother country is a whole 'nother thing. I kind of hope somewhere he has a dad or a grandpa, maybe one of those they wouldn't let in the Marines because they weren't sensitive enough, who will give him what for about the disgrace he has brought on his family and the country.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Yep, he was a regular contributor over on Flytyingforum.com and Classic Fly Tying.com

Talented fly tier turns thief

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I hope the skins are still able to be displayed when they are returned to the museum.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread