+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How many of you get these kinds of comments when you tell others you're a flyfisher?

I usually have an extra rod with me and ask them if they want to try, some keep talking some try and walk away.

Fatman

I was doing some extended false casting and overheard a son ask his father "what's that guy doing?" Dad responded, he is dry fly fishing. He doesn't let the fly get wet. When he keeps the fly off the water the fish have to jump up to get it. I turned my head so he wouldn't see me laughing.

you know I had one similar, but the man said " it's how youfish for trout" I added, ad blue gills, bass, crappie, and anyhting else that has gill and eats.

" You can't catch blue gills on a _" my line becomes tight and my rod bends- " fly? " Sure enough it was a white amur, the fight ws long and he finally won, I lost, but the guy and his son ahve been going to fly casting lessons and I hear the boy got his first fly rod from Sportsman's warehouse yesteday
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Most of the comments I get seem to fall into, 'I didn't know there were trout around here (Central VA)', 'I tried it and couldn't cast', or 'It is beautiful to watch someone fly fishing." Mostly I find people are just showing how little they know about the sport and are not being mean-spirited. These "ignorant" comments (uninformed is a kinder way of phrasing it) are an opening for me to see if there's any interest worth pursuing. Generally, I find the people are uninformed because they're not interested in the sport and the conversation turns to something else. Every few years though I find a soul interested in learning more.

My feeling is that if anyone says anything about the fact that i'm fly fishing, (positive or negative) they're showing an interest in what i'm doing. I always respond positively because one never knows...they may give the sport a try and become one of the enlightened few. The last time this happened to me, a fisherman opened the convo with something like, 'i've got a fly rod but i'm trying for salmon'. You can guess my response of course and as a result, we became friends and have flyfished together for just about a year now. Simple comments about flyfishing can change ppl's lives it seems.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Just was at the lake with my son ( who snarled up the leader on his line better than anything I have ever seen, by the way) and someone came in about ten feet of us and started to set up his fishing chairt and all that crap and asked " Fly fishing here?!" " Yup." " What the heck are you fishing for?" " Blue gill, bass, catfish, got an amur here a few weeks ago" " oh, so I bet you can't wait for the trout stocking, huh?" " with all the bass and bluegill, I habe plenty of fuun... "

He jsut put on his little glo sticks and kept tossing his line out where I was fishing... I caught and caught.. the only thing it made him do was throw his line further into my casting zone until my son ( ten years old) said " wow... he's trying to sdteal your fish dad!" the guy grabbed his chair and crap and left muttering something about rudeness....
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

My favorites are:
    1) "I saw some fish splashing on top over there. You might actually catch something on that thing". All the while I'm throwing a sink tip line...
    2) "Where do you fly fish in Kansas?" I reply that I fish anywhere there's water with finned quarry and hand them a card to my site. www.everythingonthefly.net
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

I was wading in a small stream near here looking for smallmouth. Someone went by in a canoe, seeing my casting my fly rod, and said "I didn't know there were Trout in here?" . . . . I told him there wasn't and went back to fishing. I bet he went away thinking I was crazy fly fishing, knowing there were no trout in the stream.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Few moths back came across two panfish guys while fishing from the boat. When they saw me casting my fly rod I heard snickering... It died after I've landed second crappie. Back in the boat launch one of them came up and asked me what was I using cause"they've seen me landing fish after fish while they ain't got nothing but few dinks". I showed him few of the flies and he wandered off in amazement. I'm curios if I see these two next year with fly poles.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

I don't think There's any trout in their. No kidding stupid.

+ Reply to Thread