+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoppercator

Default Hoppercator

I need some help from you guys and gals. I was reading article (think it was called "hoppercator") and it talked about putting loop on the end of hook where bend is and the eye end. How would you attach leader or maybe I should say dropper, usiing both loops so it could easily be adjusted for diferent depths and also if eye of hook were large enough could you use eye as the eye end loop? I have always tied in mono loop at bend end because I debarb all my hooks and when I tried attaching dropper it would slip off. I hope I have explained this correctly from what I read in the article. Thanks in advance. mathcarver

Ps. I felt like this was a dumb question but someone on the forum informed me, as I use to inform my students for 32 years, there are no dumb questions if you don't understand.

Maybe this will help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkrnqcxNSMw
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Normand Guest

this might help

tie in some mono on the hook and complete the entire fly

use a loop to loop connection at the eye of the hook

take the tag end of the tippet and simply insert it into the bend loop

then watch the video above
    Last edited by Normand; 11-04-2010 at 12:03 AM.

TY
    I didnt conceptualize it either
    Nomand, you have a wealth of info, I always read your posts, thanks for contributing

Thank you guys for your comments, pictures and videos. Yall are the best. mathcarver

Does anyone have the recipe for the carmel color caddis pupa in that video?

How about the recipe for the hoppercator? I did some searches and came up with a few but nothing like the ones in the video but I'm not computer savy like some of you Later,

Kirk

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ksmirk View Post
    How about the recipe for the hoppercator?

any large bushy floating fly can serve the purpose of a "hoppercator".

any hopper pattern can be adapted by simply tying in the mono loops at both ends of the fly. then continue to tie the rest of the fly.

a chernobyl ant or even an elk hair caddis can be tied and used in the same manner as long as you tie in the mono loops.

experiment and get creative.

some info

http://winonaflyfactory.wordpress.co...he-hoppicator/

thanks Norm, now i see how Mikey Wier has that thing laid out. appreciate that!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Hoppercator:
    Looks pretty self-explanatory - foam, legs, polypro.

http://www.flyfishinglifemag.com/Vol...o01-Hatch.html

I've tried using an indicator once...and have never tried a hopper-dropper...but thanks to Mathcarver asking the question, and Normand posting the pictures...I'VE BEEN HAVING BIZARRE DREAMS ABOUT THIS!!! I really WILL have to try this! (Maybe not until next year, of course, since the temperature was 24 degrees F this morning on the way to work!)

Thanks everyone!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread