+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't quit your day stream

Blog Entries

Default Don't quit your day stream

Problem is, I don't have a day stream as I live on the island of Kauai.
    Just returned from a trip to the yellowstone area. I had fished there back in late June and had tremendous fishing. This trip not very good. It is always about timing. Best fishing this trip was the Firehole river. The fish there do not grow big due to the water temp caused by the geysers along the river. Fid catch 2 14 inters which is really big there

Best fishing I had was the Gardiner near the north entrance. Again, no big fish, but nice ones. Most folks get advice from shops down in west yellowstone and they are loath to steer you to the north where they may not see you again

Late June through early July is the best time to fish the henrys fork and the park. Just that I had the itch and needed to scratch it. Certainly not crowded though

The egg-laying miller Caddis on my blog worked well on the Firehole
    Flyfishing99.blogspot.com

Late June and early July are definitely not the time to fish MOST of the park. Typically mid-July through Labor Day is most consistent on the northern end, and this year was no exception. Fall, especially in the super-trendy Lamar drainage, is quite difficult. The Yellowstone and Gardner hold up much better, but it's definitely not a hopper/dropper show like it is in midsummer. If you're looking for fish over 2lbs, this is by far the best time of the park season, but again you can't fish for them like you do earlier in the season.

Blog Entries

When I said yellowstone area, I was including the henry's Fork. Late June through early July is when you get some great hatches; drakes, pmd's, flav's, etc. We did extremely well on the lower henry's fork near Aston at that time this summer. Also did well on the Firehole then

We're having fall baetis now! Over-cast crummy days in fall with a little drizzle preferred, Trav hit the bigger fish Friday afternoon on DePuys.
    (I had a cold and stayed home.) We've hit them twice now in about 10 days really heavy. And of course everything is late here - no snow on the ground yet - cross your fingers, we leave Livingston the 29th, will be fun to see if we get out of here before the snow. Made it by one day last year. *S*

The Henry's and the Firehole/Gibbon/Madison are very different animals than the rest of the region. Often the Firehole is DONE fishing well by June 25. I don't think we were on it PM after about the 20th (temps hitting 70+ at the lower gauge by then). I just want as few people showing up wanting to fish the Lamar on June 15 when there are 50 foot trees and dead animals floating down it as possible.

Although that's better than showing up May 10 to fish the park (two weeks before the opener), which also happens...

+ Reply to Thread