+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Soda Butte bear attacK

Well I am certainly glad to hear that Deb is doing well. Until I just got back to work today I had no idea that she was a member here. We were just in Yellowstone for a couple of days and was driving through the Park on Wed. morning and in fact stopped to fish for a half hour around the camp ground on Slough Creek. We drove on up to Soda Butte but didn't go up to the camp ground. I wonder how much information was given out until the news got hold of the story. There were people all over the creek and the Lamar river fishing, and many of the pull outs were full of cars and people hiking and picnicking around 11:30 or noon. I never saw a Park Ranger other than one driving on the road going back toward Slough Creek, or any signs or any thing that might warn people. Since it was the middle of the day and it was a little crowded with people and buffalo we just turned around and made the loop over to West Yellowstone.. We didn't even hear anything about the attacks until late Wed night after we got back to the camper about half way between Livingston and Gardner. That really freaked my wife out so we headed home a couple of days early. Now, I just can't believe that there was not more of a presence of Park personnel just a few hours after a fatal bear attack just a couple of miles away. Of course best wishes for a COMPLETE RECOVERY for Deb and great sympathy for the family of the gentleman who was killed, and thanks everyone for all the links to more of the story than I had read so far.

Bowmaker,

This incident occurred outside the park. So they weren't worried about the bear over there since it was 10 miles away and they expected the bear to return to the area the next night.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I'm sorry you're having to go through this Deb. Please get well very soon.

MontanaMoose

Deb I was pretty shocked the other day when I saw you on one of the morning shows. I was walking past the TV as you were on and had no idea what was even on the TV till I glanced at it and stopped in my tracks saying "Holy crap what's Deb doing on TV" ???

I am VERY glad that you are alright though. And really strong minded of you to be able to keep your head about you and play dead so it would leave you alone. Most people would not have the courage to do that in that situation. I hope the physical and mental pain of the incident heal up very fast for you. Look forward to hopefully seeing you again this year at the MWFF expo.

Steve

Hey Deanna,
    Although usually, I'm the LAST one to be sitting on my hands with my wallet in my pocket, I must admit that the thought of helping Deb a bit didn't even cross my mind . Must be age related. SO, if y'all are going to do something along those lines, count me in for sure. After all, she is Canadian, and her money is almost worthless here in the US . AND obamacare ain't kicked in yet.

Mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey Deanna,
    Although usually, I'm the LAST one to be sitting on my hands with my wallet in my pocket, I must admit that the thought of helping Deb a bit didn't even cross my mind . Must be age related. SO, if y'all are going to do something along those lines, count me in for sure. After all, she is Canadian, and her money is almost worthless here in the US . AND obamacare ain't kicked in yet.

Mark
    At par or better, for the money and we have colours....
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Deb,
    Keep your spirits up we are all pulling for you.
    Jon

Glad to hear all's well with Deb n I thank god for that fact!....

Has anyone heard of weather or not the mother bear was actually proven to be "The actual Bear" through DNA testing? If not I hope they continue the search effort... Sad that all 5 will be put down if she is the one... Sorry but I see the plight of more than one side here... i truely am not making light of any of the events just wondering of any final outcomes...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Yes, the mother bear was proven to be the one, and she was put down. The three cubs however are up for adoption to a zoo for free. I am trying to remember where I read this, but the officials feel that the cubs do Not need to be euthanized(sp).
    Wyo-Blizzard

Deb take care ,get well and keep your spirits up.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

+ Reply to Thread