+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice for choosing a guide?

Question Advice for choosing a guide?

I've decided to dig my fly rod out of the moth balls (it's been a couple years) and take my father on a trip to North Carolina for a couple days of fishing.

He's never used a fly rod, and I have never fished moving water, so the plan is to take a beginner class and then spend a day or two fishing, perferably all with the same guide.

There are several guides in the area, and, according to their websites, all of them are the best teachers, able to have us casting like we've been doing it for hours in only a day, and all of them are the best at showing us to some fish we can scare away.

Most of the prices are comparable, the only appreciable differences I've noticed from their websites are (1) whether they provide leaders and flies, and (2) what they serve for lunch.

I'm not averse to buying leaders and flies, and we're not picky about our bag lunches... so I'm not sure how to go about picking one.

Obviously availability could narrow it down, but, beyond that, do any of ya'll have any advise on picking a guide?

MZR

P.S.
    All of their clients' comments say that they're wonderful, too..
    Last edited by MikeZRed; 07-07-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Typing perfectionism

I've only used guides a couple of times, and was very happy with them, but I know that some are better than others. If there are any local Trout Unlimited chapters, I'd contact them for recommendations. Here's a link to Federation of Fly Fishers Casting Instructors: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4465
    If one of the guides you're looking at is on the list, that might help narrow it down.

Regards,
    Scott

Mike,

Choosing a guide (or in this case a guide service) can be tricky. A few years ago I was looking for a guide service in Breckenridge Colorado and made a post similar to yours (not on FAOL, but another site). What swayed me to a particular shop/service was the personal recommendations from a former guide and others who had used them. Like you I found a lot of shops/services in the area and all of them sounded great, were priced similarly, and all offered the same level of service. In my experience you are going to pay for flies unless the service explicitly states that flies are included, sometimes they don't say either way but will expect you to pay for the flies you are going to use at the shop the morning of your trip. Also remember in your calculations a tip for the guide(s) at the end of the trip or the end of the day (depending on if you are going to have the same guide each day). From what guide friends have told me most of the food/drinks/snacks you get on trips come out of the guides pocket, so if you have a good time consider giving a good tip at the end of the trip.

Now getting the guide that is right for your situation really involves finding a shop/service that has guides able to deal with your particular situation. It sounds like you need a refersher course while your father needs an introductory course in fly fishing. In my experience the best option is to send a inquiry email to each of the shops you are looking at. Explain the situation in as much detail as you feel relevant, but be certain to be honest about your abilities as this will have a large impact on your trip experience. I've been told that far too often folks overstate their abilities and end up improperly matched with a guide. Once you have information in hand from each of the shops/services you are looking at you have a couple of options. One you can post the names here and see if anyone has any experience with them. Two you can whittle down your list to one or two and make a phone inquiry following up on the email you sent. See if they have a guide in mind for you and your dad and get some information about them. If they sound like they are going to be a good fit for you book the trip. If not move on to another of the shops you are considering.

In the case of my trip in Breckenridge I got matched with a wonderful guide named Dennis. As someone who fishes just for the enjoyment of being outdoors and who is a people person I enjoyed having a guide who wanted to talk about his life (he was about the same age as my dad) in the area, as well as his family, fishing and anything else that came up. In addition it was nice to have a guide who was willing to help me out with some casting issues I have, plus teach me about reading moving water, how to mend, and other technical aspects of fly fishing. I had such a good time that I'll be taking another trip with Dennis again here in a few weeks when I return to Breckenridge for vacation.

Personally, I think the highest praise for any guide is that you want to go fishing with them again.

Hope this helps a little.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

I mostly agree with what has been recommended.

Above all, be realistic in what your capabilities are. Most guides end up trying to teach a beginner from the ground up -- and thats ok unless you know what your doing and the other person doesn't -- then it gets frustrating both for you and the guide and the beginner.

If you are capable and competent then you will probably get to fish in better(or perhaps different) places that you can apply what you know -- ie. longer casts, etc. ; whereas if you are a beginner or novice, you will fish where you have the best chances to match the water to your capabilities so you have the best chances.

Ask the shop about which guides can provide what you need.

The fly issue is probably not much of an issue -- overall, flies don't cost much compared to the entire trip. Some places I have fished, I had to supply the flies while other places the guides supplied them. Seems like it is almost dependent upon if I had a high chance of losing alot of flies then I bought the flies -- low chance of losing gear, the guides supplied them.

Are any of the guides or outfitters you're looking at Orvis-endorsed? If so, start with them and explain your situation.

There are many great guides and outfitters that aren't Orvis-endorsed but I've found that looking for the endorsement is a great way to screen and cut down on my search time. I've used Orvis endorsed guides all over the place; it's always worked well.

Talking Thanks

Thanks for all the replies - when I find a minute to sit down with it again, I'm sure I'll be able to make a decision, now.

...I knew ya'll were the folks to ask!

MZR

+ Reply to Thread