+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boa Yarn

Default Boa Yarn

I caught a few fish this morning on yellow boa leeches. What other colors are productive? I have looked at local craft shops and wally world only to find a tricolored skein that has red, orange and yellow that i picked up and have been using.

I have done well on white and black as well as yellow.

Tim

Blog Entries

Red has been "beddy beddy goood to me" this year.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Yellow has been by far my most productive color of boa yarn. But, it really depends on the body of water. In some waters, the fish won't take the yellow.

In order of what I consider best to least, I've caught fish on bright yellow, brown, orange, black, silver, purple, "key lime", green ("mallard"). I've only recently been trying white, but haven't caught much on it yet. I know it will have its time and place, though. I also have a darker "marigold" yellow that isn't nearly as effective as the brighter yellow (like the yellow on your tri-colored skein).
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I suspect Boa Yarn flies work best for warm water species...you know ...the colors ,etc.

How do folks find them for trout. I'm sure they will catch them but are they better than say the usual woolly buggers or others? I have the feeling that they may have a little less inherent motion than some of the trout materials and I think motion is maybe not as necessary for warm water????

The movement is actually very good! I've noticed some boa yarns have longer fibers than others. Obviously, the longer the fiber, the better the movement in water.

I haven't tried them on trout.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I always thought that the Boa Yarn flies I had seen tied were too bulkly for trout but should work great for warm water fish and have found that they do. I wanted to try something with Boa Yarn to see if I could get the same results with trout by coming up with something less bulkly and I submitted that fly to FOTW. It has worked well for me. Since the Boa Yarn is spun in a thread loop and the yarn seam removed, one can space out the palmer wraps to increase or decrease the body bulk. Just thought I would throw this out in case someone wants to experiment with it.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...071006fotw.php
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren blessed me with a couple of his boa yarn leeches. They are good for trout. I was using his boa yarn leech on a lake one day. One of the best fishermen in our club exclaimed....I am just going to follow Jim around. He is the one catching all the fish. I was using Warren's BY Bugger or Leech. Don't remember name. The one he posted as a FOTW. I was using a black one.

+ Reply to Thread